THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

When I find full spares for $1.89 I buy and cut down to SLCs and use the trimmings for beans. Keri Hog Apple Beans, I love em.

Full spares, trim the flap (save for tacos) and cook the rest. Post cook cut out the St. Louis ribs pieces and tips. Ribs tend to disappear first, but the meaty bits are what people talk about how good they were.

I just remove the breast bone and flap meat from full spares and cook the rest. I've tried cooking tips separate but I like them better still attached.

90% of the time I’ve done ribs I’ve bought a full rack of spares, trimmed and ate the trimmings as snacks. May start saving the trimmings for sausage or seasoning for beans.
Did ribs last week and they didn’t have full spares, but did have 1 rack of St. Louis cut. Very minor trimming and removing the membrane was all I did there & I have to say that was nice to have such little prep work.

I trim them down to STL and cook everything. Rib tips are awesome. So is that diaphragm meat on the bottom side of the rack. Pretty much my favorite part of the entire pig.

I always trim like Andy does... When I was a kid we didn't have a lot of $ for a full rack, there was this place that sold rib tip "dinners" = tips, half an ear of corn and sweet potato for $2.50 a dinner... Brings back old memories...

Thanks
Greg

I always trim the flap for boneless chinese spare ribs (char sui). Sometimes i trim the tips as well for chinese spare rib tips (also char sui)

ribtips.jpg

Last edited:
Back