Do You Like Sirloin? Show us How YOU Cook it and Enter the BBQ Brethren "Sirloin Challenge" Throwdown! Lasts Through Aug 31st!

Moose

somebody shut me the fark up.

Batch Image
Batch Image
Name or Nickame
Richard
***NOTE: This thread is an announcement. Please post your entries HERE NOT in this Qtalk thread!***

Our New Throwdown Category is...

"Sirloin Challenge!"

33911637880_f861df2791_b.jpg

This was Der Husker's Winning Entry in the 2017 Top Sirloin Master's Cut Throwdown

As chosen by Kanco Connection for winning the "Pork Butt" Throwdown.

CATEGORY DESCRIPTION - PLEASE READ:

Kanco Connection said:
Hey Moose and Shagdog!

So, I think I’d like to see us do (another) steak TD, but let’s not do the typical trophy cuts. How about we give some love to sirloin...could be top sirloin steak, petite, picanha, whatever. But I’d love to see what the folks can do with the relatively cheap but flavorful SIRLOIN! Thanks for all you guys do.

:thumb:

You may submit entries that are cooked from Friday 8/14 through Monday 8/31.

Entry pictures must be submitted by Noon Central US Time on Monday 8/31.

[FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]Please post your entries HERE NOT in this Qtalk thread![/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]
[/FONT][/FONT]

[FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]Also, if you have not entered a Throwdown before, [/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]
Click here to READ THE RULES for the BBQ Brethren Throwdowns...
[/FONT][/FONT]

[FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]
[/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]
[/FONT][/FONT]

[FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]Best of luck and even better eats to all! [/FONT][/FONT]

Last edited by a moderator:
I guess i was wrong. Went back to the original throwdown and seen some of the starting pics. Looks like he got a pretty thick sirloin steak, and her either trimmed it to a long shape, or it came like that from grocery/butcher. Only way im getting thick cut is buying a whole sirloin and slicing it myself. I dunno if its covid related or what, but everything at grocery chains come pre packaged now.

Do You Like Top Sirloin? Show us How YOU Cook it and Enter the BBQ Brethren "Top Sirloin Challenge" Throwdown! Lasts Through Aug 31st!

I guess i was wrong. Went back to the original throwdown and seen some of the starting pics. Looks like he got a pretty thick sirloin steak, and her either trimmed it to a long shape, or it came like that from grocery/butcher. Only way im getting thick cut is buying a whole sirloin and slicing it myself. I dunno if its covid related or what, but everything at grocery chains come pre packaged now.

Unless it’s commodity stuff, I refuse to buy meat from grocery chains.

Untrimmed Picanha is what I don’t see much of around here, but it is what will win this TD

so Picanha is sirloin? I didn't realize rump is from sirloin.

This is a serious question, I just stocked up on picanha...

Do You Like Top Sirloin? Show us How YOU Cook it and Enter the BBQ Brethren "Top Sirloin Challenge" Throwdown! Lasts Through Aug 31st!

so Picanha is sirloin? I didn't realize rump is from sirloin.

This is a serious question, I just stocked up on picanha...

Internet says yes!
In fact, the TD is for ‘Top Sirloin’

Don’t get much more Top Sirloin than a Top Sirloin Cap :)

10d09ffcb72ec693d1dde3042da6149d.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well crap. There is a contradiction between the category description and the Throwdown title. It's "sirloin", not top sirloin. In my haste to get the announcement up, I suffered a minor brain disconnect. :mad:

I will fix this in the TD subforum thread, and get a mod to fix this, too.

Is Flatiron Top Sirloin?

Seems nobody wants to acknowledge this. The Thread picture is definitely flat iron. And what the grocery stores in my area call "top sirloin" would never look as good as what i believe is flat iron in that picture. Its like comparing eye round with filet mignon.

Mike, Flat iron is cut from the shoulder, so no, it's not a sirloin, unfortunately.

As to the picture in the beginning of this thread, it most certainly IS a top sirloin, and you can see it yourself in the cook thread:

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=245657

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showpost.php?p=3780874&postcount=12

34255086876_7f65ff2438_z.jpg

34295516795_4e7fbea45f_b.jpg

Mike, Flat iron is cut from the shoulder, so no, it's not a sirloin, unfortunately.

As to the picture in the beginning of this thread, it most certainly IS a top sirloin, and you can see it yourself in the cook thread:

Yes i stated in the 1st page that i checked the original throwdown thread and seen it was indeed sirloin, just trimmed really well. The long trim and thick cut threw me off.

Back