THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

or it's just another way to skin a cat. I always say do what works for you. you seem very set in your ways and that's cool.

Set in my ways?? Maybe.

Or maybe, I’ve been around long enough to see all this tomfoolery as just another bad sequel to the original.

It’s all been done before.

Flipping steaks constantly is how it was done back in the day, before we all learned about the right ways to cook a steak

giphy.gif

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well, there's more than one way to skin a cat. But as the old timer asked me once when I made that statement, "But why would you want to?"
I do not know where I picked it up, but when I first started cooking outside on a grill in the early 80's, I was of the one flip mindset. And the steaks were just OK when I was successful. With no internal thermometer, I struggled judging doneness.

In the mid 80's I read an article by snydicated columnist Merle Ellis The Butcher, who had an article that appeared weekly in the food section of the state newspaper. In that article he described a dry aging technique for rib eye steaks at home. At the end of the article were instructions on cooking the steaks. He described flipping the steaks every two minutes. He provided some science behind it that I do not recall today, but he said that for a one inch thick ribeye, an 8 minute steak would(depending on fire of course) give you a rare to medium rare steak. So, I tried it and it was a complete game changer. Been doing it that way ever since.
ATTST: Do what ever you like. But, don't be afraid to try something new and approach it with an open mind. You can lead a horse to water---but as the old timer said, "before you push him in, think about how bad a wet horse smells!"

I met Jess at the American Royal a few years back. Just as sweet as can be.

Robert

All kidding aside, I use this technique with thinner cuts of beef and poultry when cooking over high heat and it serves three purposes - so the meat cooks quickly, evenly, and doesn't get burned. So there's that, and it's a no-brainer as far as I'm concerned.

However, for larger/thicker cuts, I get perfect and evenly cooked meats and with a nice crust using a reverse sear:

For example, some ribeye:

DSC_0797D_zpsdherjzbx.jpg

DSC_0273RS.JPG

I'm not convinced at this stage that I can better these results, so it's going to take some hard data to want me to convert.

All kidding aside, I use this technique with thinner cuts of beef and poultry when cooking over high heat and it serves three purposes - so the meat cooks quickly, evenly, and doesn't get burned. So there's that, and it's a no-brainer as far as I'm concerned.

However, for larger/thicker cuts, I get perfect and evenly cooked meats and with a nice crust using a reverse sear:

DSC_0273RS.JPG

I'm not convinced at this stage that I can better these results, so it's going to take some hard data to want me to convert.

ummm no. didn't you read johns post. this matter was settled eons ago.

great looking steak btw

DSC_0273RS.JPG

That does look awesome. I can get the same results doing the way I described above. But, in an effort to try different things, (cat/skin, horse/water), I have tried reverse sear many times over the years and I have not been able to perfect the reverse sear. Every time I attempt it, the wife and sons say, please can you just do it the old way. Latest attempt was with some Picanha. I had some beautiful pieces of meat until the reverse sear attempt over the S-n-S. Fat side down for 30 seconds and I had scorched meat. I just can't seem to get the maillard reaction perfected. So I moved it to the side and let it finish to temp off set. Still good meat although 3 of the four were as tough as shoe leather.

Maybe one of these days I will stumble upon the correct way.

Robert

No JKF here, steaks left on the counter for one hour while seasoned…

Hit a 650°ish grill grate for 1 minute per side…

The girls approve

Well, I think that settles the JKF debate! Stunning steaks, Jeremy.

P.S. I still want money for nothing and grills for free.

Back