Do I need a pepper mill?

Most of the recipes I see call for fresh ground black pepper. I've always used the ground stuff in a can. Does it matter?

Freshly ground spices will almost always have more of a pop than something pre-ground.

Also I've found its cheaper to have a quality pepper mill and getting a big tub of pepper corns than buying pre-ground.

JMO though.

To answer your question: YES
But before you buy one, just buy some whole peppercorns and crack them in a pestle and mortar, or just with a heavy pan and taste.
Note: use less than you would of the pre-ground stuff as it will be stronger tasting.
Just this weekend I was with people that only had pre-ground pepper and the lid fell off while putting in on my scrambled eggs. The eggs looked black, but I still couln't taste the pepper

Try one. You'll like it.

And if you don't, send it back.

Note to self: Need to alternate putting these things in the dishwasher.

You can always try the Alton Brown method if you are a heavy pepper user like me

alton-brown-pepper-drill-0414.0.jpg

There's just something about a good freshly ground/cracked black tellicherry pepper...

If I'm doing a large batch of something like wings seasoning, I'll use the preground stuff for ease of use and the fact that I'm probably going to hit the meat with a pungent sauce.

THIS!!

And yes, tellicherry pepper, try it!

Got one due tomorrow from Amazon, and a bag of that tellicherry pepper.

Thanks muchly.
Never tried Tellicherry. From what I've read they are larger than other peppercorns. Please let me know how they work in the grinder.

Been using Frontier Co-op organic peppercorns (available on Amazon or from Frontier directly) for 20-some years. Great pepper but I'm annoyed by Frontier jacking the price a lot recently.

Back