THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Festival of Sausage

In keeping with the sausagefest theme, I thought I would throwdown a few yummies for your consideration...

The sausage menu consists of 2 Roasted Red Pepper Sausage Links I picked up on special, a package of Johnsonville Cheese Brats (my personal favorite), and a package of Johnsonville Spicy Chorizo that I am going to stuff with gorgonzola cheese and then wrap in a bacon web...

The Chorizo has a lovely texture. I have never gotten the J'ville brand before, and I am happily surprised at the quality. Here I mashed the sausage out to stuff with gorgonzola...

I picked up some thick cut bacon to make a weave, so I can have a nice bacon wrapping...

Now everything is prepped and waiting for some coddling in Boss Hog's cooking chamber...

Here is Boss Hog getting ready for the event. I am starting him off with a chimney of Wicked Good Weekend Warrior...

I had some expanded metal in the garage, so I decided to stop being lazy and make my charcoal basket. I did it very simply by bending the metal on my workbench, then securing the sides with high-heat, thick gauge wire. She's not a very pretty basket, but as long as she knows how to dance, she can come to the party! :becky:

The meat is on the smoker after adding some oak to the fire...

I had one slice of bacon left over from the weave, so I used it to wrap one of the cheese brats. Here it is ready to come off...

All the sausage was ready in about 3 1/2 hours, and here is a shot of them all, with the Roasted Red Pepper Links up front...

Time to plate it all up, and get busy with my eating utensils, but before I do, I would like to share some with my Brethren! :-D

Now this is what I call a festival of sausage! It was all so very tender, juicy, and oh yes... tasty too! :-D
Please use this as my official entry into the throwndown...

This here is my entry!

I had plans to cook something different for this TD but I ended up judging an amateur BBQ competition today and ran out of time.

So, I'm going to enter the pizza that I made earlier in the week.

Italian Sausage, Mushrooms, Onions and Green Peppers with home made tomato sauce and home made pizza dough cooked in my Blackstone Outdoor Pizza Oven.

14606057091_bf6bf9e51c_b.jpg

14609286865_15ae4a0f57_b.jpg

14462451327_fac8af4bf4_b.jpg

Please use the picture above for my entry!

This is my entry for the Sausagefest Throwdown:

I made a batch of Kielbasa and some Texas style hot-links. I haven't seen hot-links since I moved from Teaxs, so I worked up a recipe that comes close to what I remember minus the red dye number 4.

I used some dried New Mexico red chili pods. These pods are the mild ones you would use in Tamales. They have a lot of flavor.

i-9zBPtjr-M.jpg
IMG_2415%2520-%2520Version%25202-M.jpg

I seeped the seeded pods in about 2 cups of boiling water for 20 minutes, then pureed them in a food processor along with the other spices. The meat was 80% pork butt, and 20% Chuck roast, and was well trimmed of large deposits of fat.

I stuffed these into natural hog casings and froze half, and cooked the others on the 4th. The ones below were thawed and smoked Saturday using my offset smoker. These came out very close to what I remember, but I'll probably add a little more heat next time.

IMG_2233%2520-%2520Version%25203-L.jpg

IMG_2249-L.jpg

i-7kDLfjF-L.jpg

Please use the shot below for my entry.

i-cC6xPtf-XL.jpg

I think I actually cooked something that fits a category. Well, I'll be danged. Here is a Canadian farm sausage on a bun that I had for supper.

Wow, Gore, that's quite the sausage sammich you assembled! I'd sure hit that.:hungry:

Can't wait to see your full cook thread, as well as the pic you want us to use as your entry photo! :thumb:

Wow, Gore, that's quite the sausage sammich you assembled! I'd sure hit that.:hungry:

Can't wait to see your full cook thread, as well as the pic you want us to use as your entry photo! :thumb:

Full cook thread? It was a sausage. Sausage goes on the grill about 350-400*, and it is flipped and rotated until done. Fark, it's not rocket science. It's not even pulled-pork science. Which pic do I want to use? Is that a trick question? There was only one. Use the first one ... or the last one. Take your pick. What the fark is going on here? :loco:

Last edited:
Full cook thread? It was a sausage. Sausage goes on the grill about 350-400*, and it is flipped and rotated until done. Fark, it's not rocket science. It's not even pulled-pork science. Which pic do I want to use? Is that a trick question? There was only one. Use the first one ... or the last one. Take your pick. What the fark is going on here? :loco:

Good thing that shipment of Dilly Bars just arrived...

:twisted:

Back