THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Moose

somebody shut me the fark up.

Batch Image
Batch Image
Name or Nickame
Richard
Our new TD category is..."MINI, Part 2!"

1792240_Gore.jpg

This was Gore's winning entry in the 2011 "Mini" Throwdown

As chosen by jwtseng for winning the "Meat & Potatoes" Throwdown.

CATEGORY DESCRIPTION - READ BEFORE ENTERING

jwtseng said:
For the next TD, I thought it would be fun to revisit the "Mini" TD from 2011. I've been eating way too much with all the cooking I've been doing lately, so what better way to cut down on the calories than to restrict the size of the cooking vessel. Maybe save on some charcoal or wood too. Anything goes, as long as it's cooked on a 14.5" diameter or smaller cooking grate (or 165 sq in makeshift equivalent). Please show pics of the cooker in action in the entry/cook thread, although the moneyshot entry photo need not include the cooker.

You may submit entries that are cooked from Friday 11/27 through the entry submission deadline of 12pm (NOON), Central US Time on Monday 12/7/15.

Entry pictures must be submitted by 12 p.m. (NOON) Central US Time on Monday 12/7/15

Click here to READ THE RULES for the BBQ Brethren Throwdowns...

The ENTRY and VOTE threads will follow Q-Talk rules, meaning QUALITY ON-TOPIC discussion of the category or entries only, please. Discussion is encouraged to take place in the DISCUSSION THREAD, but if you want a recipe, or are looking for details or have QUALITY ON-TOPIC comments to make about an entry or the category you can make them in the ENTRY or VOTE thread. Non-quality posts that are made here will be deleted and the offending member will be asked why they couldn't just post in the DISCUSSION thread instead, and in extreme cases or repeat offenders, disciplinary action WILL happen.

Last edited:
3" Ribeye Chop

This is my entry into the "MINI, Part 2!" Throwdown.

The smallest grill I have is a Weber Go Anywhere but it is buried up in my attic so I wasn't sure what else I could do. The next smallest I have is a Weber Jumbo Joe but it's 18" in diameter. Then I remembered I did have a Weber Cast Iron Searing Grate and if I read the rules correctly it say the meal needs to be cooked on something 14.5" diameter or smaller. Well the Weber Cast Iron Searing Grate is 11 3/4" in diameter so I rigged it up to cook on in my kamado and my Jumbo Joe. (Hope this qualifies)

Ribeye Roasts went on sale last week and I ended up with a whole rib for a great price. I cut my own 3” steaks off of a Bone-in Ribeye Roast. (See link:
[FONT=&quot]http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=221248[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]I frenched one and made it into a chop to expose the bone. I then rubbed it down with some Worcestershire Sauce, steak seasoning, fresh ground garlic sea salt, fresh ground black pepper and some dried rosemary.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]I wrapped this up and let it rest in the fridge overnight. The next day I made up the sides. (baked potatoes and some steamed heirloom carrots)[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]I then lite up my kamado and slow smoked it on my 11 ¾” Weber C.I. grate with some hickory chunks. [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Also while I waited I lite up a full chimney of lump and briquettes. [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]When the Ribeye hit an internal temperature of 112 degrees I removed it and covered with foil for a short rest [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]while I got the C.I. grate up to searing temps in my Weber Jumbo Joe. [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]I then seared it for 2 minutes per side. [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]I brought everything in and let the steak rest while I got everything else ready.[/FONT] (Don't you just love a good meat cycle? :becky:)
[FONT=&quot][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]After 10 minutes I sliced the main part off the bone and then thinly sliced that. (I then reassembled most of it on my plate) [/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Here it is plated with a Modern Times Coffee Roasty Stout, a loaded baked potato and some heirloom carrots as sides.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Here is my money shot below.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Oh yeah! :becky:[/FONT]

The entire cook thread can be seen here: http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=221303

Beautiful, beautiful cook! And for the record, the rules did state "anything goes, as long as it's cooked ON a 14.5" or smaller" grate. You cooked ON and WITH the grate, so thumbs up from me! :thumb::thumb::thumb:

Just beautiful, tho!

Just got a weber go anywhere....saw this and figured I would throw in an entry. Cook thread http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=221502

And to conclude. Roasted veggies in the wga where diced with parsley, garlic, onion and mixed with red wine vinagrette. Taters with green onions, shrooms and butter. Chuckie. All done on the little guy. Little dragons milk to drink.

Suppose I say take the top one as my pic entry....
txwt6MMl.jpg

pJGVPBXl.jpg

Amazing!! I wish I had the time to enter this one. Such a great cook!! I know that was not easy to put together. Such a great job!! :clap2:

Absolutely brilliant, Matt. Not one, but TWO mini cookers, plus beer and superheros. Doesn't get any better than that...

Last edited:
Mini, mini, mini

Please accept this as my TD entry.

Well it might not be nearly as creative as a lego world of BBQ but here is my entry anyway. Some mini food, cooked on a mini grill by a mini chef.

minic9c.jpg

Cook and build thread can be found here: http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=221592

Hey Matt, I think my chef is cuter than yours. Your Pitmaster looks a little plastic. Has he had some work done?

Last edited:
My official entry for the Mini TD

I tried to cook these lamb loin chops on a 6" x 3" raclette grill (I've burned cheese on it before so I figured I should be able to sear some meat at least), but it was taking FOR-EVER. So I switched to my slightly larger teracotta pig grill, and all went well. This was my first indoor cook, which was kinda fun and convenient! But one thing is for sure...smaller grill, less meat, fewer calories for Daddy to eat. :thumb:

iGiRp92h.jpg

yjHVsHhh.jpg

L9exajvh.jpg

Entry shot:
irjm61ah.jpg

Rest of the cook thread is HERE

Thanks for looking!
:thumb::thumb::thumb:

Back