THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

UMICH1

Got Wood.
Name or Nickame
Bill
I know many people hang meat or lay it on grill rack when smoking over direct heat. My question is in regards to the smoke. When I cook on my Akorn, I get a very nice thin blue smoke with the diffuser plate. Do you get a lot of white puffy smoke when doing this? I may order a drum smoker or WSM 22' so was just curious. Thanks.

I think it all depends on the set up you are running. If running no diffuser and directly over the coals, then you will get some puffs of white smoke as fat drips onto the coals and burns off.

I personally usually run a drip pan or a deflector in my drum to avoid the fat dripping onto the coals, but at times I will run it with no pan or diffuser, especially with things I want to cook hotter like chicken or turkey

I think it all depends on the set up you are running. If running no diffuser and directly over the coals, then you will get some puffs of white smoke as fat drips onto the coals and burns off.

I personally usually run a drip pan or a deflector in my drum to avoid the fat dripping onto the coals, but at times I will run it with no pan or diffuser, especially with things I want to cook hotter like chicken or turkey

Do you get any bitterness on the food with that white smoke? Or isn't it enough to really affect it?

I don't taste much bitterness, but it's also only over it for 2 hours at most with poultry. I know some people can really pick out the flavor it imparts and do not like it, but for me I haven't noticed any off flavors or bitterness

Depending on how much and type of meat you hang. Will depend on how much white smoke you will get. It is the amount of fat dripping that causes the heavy white smoke. Heavy white smoke can cause a much darker coloring. With a properly burning coal basket, there is no bitter flavor anyone has ever mentioned or I have noticed. Clean burning fire before putting the meat on.
One example. When hanging 12 racks of babybacks, you get alot of white smoke. When hanging 3 racks of babybacks and 2 birds, there is not much white smoke at all. Pretty much the same as using a drip pan.

Attachments

Back