Dinosaur BBQ (and NY State Fair)

Gore

Phizzy

Batch Image
Batch Image
Name or Nickame
Gore (surprise!)
I have family in Syracuse, and visit quite often. Unfortunately, because I have family there, I rarely get to eat out. I've known of Dinosaur BBQ for about 20 years. In the past few years, they have opened up several other locations. It was originally a biker bar and one of my cousins would go several times a week to dance and listen to the live music. It's changed a lot since then, but it has always had a good reputation for good food and they still cater to bikers:

IMG_20160903_151929.jpg

Unfortunately, because I'm rarely allowed to go out when I visit, I just made my second trip to Dinosaur BBQ last weekend. Basically, I told me great aunt that we were going out for lunch and that was that. The state fair was on and they had record crowds there, so I figured Dinosaur BBQ would be easier to get into. We pulled in at 2:30, and there were still several people waiting outside.

IMG_20160903_141720.jpg

We were told it would be about 45 minutes. My wife is brilliant and told them that she'd have to check with our great aunt who is 92 and waiting in the car because her knees are bad. The hostess said, don't worry, and put us at the top of the list. :thumb: It is very cozy inside, a bit loud, but not uncomfortable.

IMG_20160903_143424.jpg

My aunt had a pulled pork sandwich, my daughter a hamburger, my wife a brisket, cheese, and bacon sandwich and I had a combo platter.

IMG_20160903_145241.jpg

IMG_20160903_145258.jpg

IMG_20160903_145355.jpg

The food is very good and tasty. Pulled pork is "Carolina style" but they do add a touch of BBQ sauce. I thought this was excellent. The sauce is a bit different. It has a slight tang to it and a tomatoey taste (rather than molasses or sweetness). The ribs are nice. They are charred on the outside. My guess is they are reheated hot and fast on the grill, but I could be wrong. In any case, I quite liked them. The brisket is better than most. They had a number of different sides. I had turkey and rice which was very nice, and the corn muffin also was good. My daughter's burger was very tasty, but overcooked and both of the other sandwiches were excellent.

The next day, we did visit the NY State Fair.

IMG_20160904_152124.jpg

Of course, Dinosaur was one of the vendors and they were one of the faves:

IMG_20160904_110645.jpg

IMG_20160904_110515.jpg

and of course, no visit would be complete without seeing the butter sculpture:

IMG_20160904_110959.jpg

Dinosaur's in Syracuse is a great place to eat. Never had a bad meal or time there. If you get the opportunity they have a cook book out that has a lot of the recipes that are awesome. It's called "Dinosaur Bar-B-Que: An American Roadhouse"

That look like a lot of buddy.

I used to go to Liverpool a good bit with my previous job. We worked on dams and Niagara Mohawk/Brookfield Power/Brascan/whatever they are named now had offices in Liverpool. The guys would take me to Dinosaur's. You are right things have changed. You can even find bottles of their sauce down here.

Great post and pics the food looks awesome.

Awesome post and pictures...... I ate there many years ago when I was much younger when I was at the VA Hospital.

We have a Wegman's near us and occasionally get the Dinosaur Sauces just to reminisce. I know it's not the real thing, but it stirs the brain cells keeping those memories alive.

Thanks for sharing Gore...

Back