THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

spoon

Knows what a fatty is.
after just joining the group, i noticed lots of the the pics include shots of those new-fangled remote digital thermometers. i gotta get me one of those. can anyone give me some input on which is the best. i've seen reference to the NU-temp and the Maverick thermometers. Couple questions:

1. which is better - Maverick or NU-temp? why do you think so?

2. of the Maverick brand, which model? it looks like the ET-7 is the way to go cuz of the ability to have 2 probes connect into one transmitter. plus, it looks like you can put 2 probes into a single transmitter which is nice.

3. of the NU-temp brand, it appears the 701 is the one to get. it seems to come with (1) 751 transmitter w/probe -- and you can add up to 2 more transmitters/probes that talk to the receiver.

4. how long are the probes on both the maverick and nu-temp models?

5. how long do the probes last?

6. are these things accurate?

7. how do you best get a reading of just the temp inside of the smoker box? i saw a post where you stick the probe thru a cork and then jam the cork between two grates in a rack - is that it?

8. how do you get the bretheren biscount on the nu-temp products?

9. are the transmission distance ratings accurate - 100 ft with the maverick, 75 ft with the nu-temp?

sorry for all the questions. thanks in advance for your feedback. just want to get as much info as i can before the purchase so i don't get buyer's remorse. plus, if the wife finds out i dropped $75 on a thermometer, she's gonna blow a fuse. oh well, she won't be complaining when i pull out some fall-off-the-bone grub.

spoon

new temp probe wires are 3-4 feet long. they last forever f ya take care of them, but I got thru a few a year cause I beat them up. the range is 75 feet open ground. but walls and doors cut that distance down. I go about 50 feet. You et chamber temps by dropping the proe down the chimney. use a cork or a potato to hold it put, not jam it between the grates, but just to give u something to make it stay put, or just boke it thru the edge of the meat, pointin up so juices dont build up at the point and give u a false reading. all I;ve seen have been accurate witing 5 degrees. If you want to ge the nu-temp, use the link in our Official stuff of the brethren section. They are in wisconsin.

We get deep discounts at nutemp, available to ACTIVE MEMBERS. Contact me at banderabros@optonline.net for details.

I have a couple of things to add from experience with the Nu-Temp probes.....

1.) Don't expose to direct flame. My buddy has a SnP horizontal and wanted to measure temps across the grate. I put the one probe on the left side right next to the firebox and the flames must have gotten to it because it would only ready about 300-something degrees regardless of where it was at. I think they're only rated to 400-something degrees anyway.

2.) Don't be a cheapskate like me when it comes to batteries. I almost ruined a cook one time because the probe wasn't transmitting right. Put in a new set of batteries and voila!! everything worked fine. They do have battery indicators on them but sometimes you just have to change the batteries.

Back