THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

HowardH

Found some matches.
I have an XL egg and use the digi Q to monitor the temps. However, I have noticed a pretty big discrepancy between the readings from the BGE thermometer and the Digi Q. The Digi Q reads much cooler than the dome thermometer and I am not sure which one to believe. I attach the probe at grill level. I cooked a turkey over Christmas and the BGE temp probe registered 325, right where I wanted it and the Digi Q was set at 265 to maintain. The bird came out fine so I have a tendency to want to believe the BGE. I'm cooking some pork ribs this afternoon and plan on a cook at 285 for 4 hours. Any ideas? Should I attach the alligator clip onto the BGE probe? I have trouble believing there could be such a huge difference in temps over such a short distance.

How close was the DigiQ probe to the meat? If it is too close then it could give you a lower reading.

I put it off to the side a bit. You would think after the bird had been on the grill for 2-3 hours it shouldn't have mattered. If it was a matter of 10 deg or so I wouldn't be too concerned but this difference is huge. I went to the Guru troubleshooting guide and they say to disregard the readings from the OEM dome thermo. The digi Q at the grill level is what to use.

It sounds like the DigiQ probe was at grate level. The dome temp in and Egg is going to be 30-40 degrees (or maybe more) hotter than the grate temp.

As suggested, calibrate both probes with boiling water, but there will always be a difference between grate and dome temp.

Back