THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Those look awesome!

It would be great if you could share a little more about the restoration - did you repair any cracks, repaint surfaces etc, or just clean them up and add new hardware?

Those look awesome!

It would be great if you could share a little more about the restoration - did you repair any cracks, repaint surfaces etc, or just clean them up and add new hardware?

These are not really repairable due to the glaze. It's glazed inside and out. The caps have been glued together before I got them. But lids and bases have no cracks and look amazing once cleaned. Bands, lower draft door, and stands were blasted and painted in high temp paint. New knobs added.

Those look amazing! Nice work. What sort of paint do you use on the inside? I know they make high heat paints, and I'd be fine with that on a grill exterior.. but interior extreme heat + safe for cooking is a tricky one. I always wondered what kind of paint was used inside my Weber.. it's incredible how well it holds up to such extremes.

edit: nevermind, I see now that you said that they are glazed inside and out.

Those look amazing! Nice work. What sort of paint do you use on the inside? I know they make high heat paints, and I'd be fine with that on a grill exterior.. but interior extreme heat + safe for cooking is a tricky one. I always wondered what kind of paint was used inside my Weber.. it's incredible how well it holds up to such extremes.

edit: nevermind, I see now that you said that they are glazed inside and out.

Ya the glaze is pretty impressive. It looks amazing for 50+ years. The guy that built them says he would demo them and run them up to 800 degrees and spray it with a garden hose to show it won't crack from temp swings. I'm not going to test that theory!

Back