THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

K

Kung Fu BBQ

i gotta admit, my rank is "knows what a fatty is" but I don't.

i can assume from some posts that is it just a package of of sausage, seasoned and smoked as a whole.

Is that all?

go ahead and bury me.

Of course you can adapt it. Try dipping in soy sauce or rolling it in a rub. You can even flatten it and put cheese in the middle and then roll it again before u cook it.

Kung Fu, a fatty is one of the easiest, most forgiving, and most customizable things you can cook. And they still respect you in the morning! ;)

Throw one on whenever you cook something!

Arlin_MacRae said:
Kung Fu, a fatty is one of the easiest, most forgiving, and most customizable things you can cook. And they still respect you in the morning! ;)

Throw one on whenever you cook something!

What Arlin Said.

I always keep several [many] sausage rolls of various flavors and persuasions in my freezer, and rarely fire up my cooker without tossing at least a couple in with what ever else I am doing.
Just one of the many lessons I have learned from the Brethren.

I've had real good luck by busting up the roll, just kinda moooshing it up, ya know? Then I re-form it (maybe after adding peppers or cheese) and roll it in a rub, wrap in plastic wrap & put in fridge overnite. They seem to take the smoke alot better than just out of the package.:wink:
Dave

Rookie'48 said:
I've had real good luck by busting up the roll, just kinda moooshing it up, ya know? Then I re-form it (maybe after adding peppers or cheese) and roll it in a rub, wrap in plastic wrap & put in fridge overnite. They seem to take the smoke alot better than just out of the package.:wink:
Dave
Interesting idea Rook.:cool:

How do you serve your fatties ?

So how are you guys serving these fatties ? With rolls ? Crackers ? Just a hunk of meat ? I was thinking of making some for the NEBS holiday party but I wasn't sure how to serve them up. Just a hunk of meat on a plate doesn't sound all that appealing.

Steve

YankeeBBQ said:
So how are you guys serving these fatties ? With rolls ? Crackers ? Just a hunk of meat ? I was thinking of making some for the NEBS holiday party but I wasn't sure how to serve them up. Just a hunk of meat on a plate doesn't sound all that appealing.

Steve

Slice and plate along with sliced cheese and crackers for apps. They're great on biscuits. I might try some finger sandwiches next time also.

YankeeBBQ said:
Just a hunk of meat on a plate doesn't sound all that appealing.

Steve

Weird. Sounds perfect to me. That is how I usually serve them, and they are gone fast.

(I also just serve them with a simple condiment tray, cheeses, nuts, pickled peppers, and MAYBE a dipping (barbecue) sauce. I do not think you could go wrong no matter how you serve 'em.)

That's another can't-go-wrong thing about fatties: you can serve them just about any way and they'll still disappear! My personal favorite is serving them hot inside a hot biscuit with a slice of cheese for breafuss. YUM!

I cooked 3 on Tthanksgiving, 2 were the standard Farmer John's breakfast type sausage bulk, and the third was a jalapeno sausage I saw in the market last Monday. Worked great except I put too much salt in the rub for the Farmer John sausages, but they tasted great in sausage and egg muffins this past weekend.

I cooked up one with a turkey on on Saturday. It was a mild flavored. I rolled it in a mix of brown sugar and BBQ seasoning. It was quite tasty.

YankeeBBQ said:
Just a hunk of meat on a plate doesn't sound all that appealing.

Steve

My fovorites are:

Slap the whole thing on a hoagie roll and top with cheese.
Slice and munch on smaller rolls.
Scramble and add to an omlette or breafast burrito.

YankeeBBQ said:

Steve

Crumbled, a spicy version works well in queso. Nice appetizer for a large group during the holidays. If using chorizo I'd drain it a little more on some paper towels to control the fat content.

Back