THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Smoking Piney

somebody shut me the fark up.

Batch Image
Batch Image
Name or Nickame
John
A little background here - I like to cook turbo pork ribs. I have them dialed in nicely on my BGE, but I have been searching for the sweet spot on my Assassin for a while. I found it.

I tried this last week on the Assassin to success, and today I needed to see if it's repeatable....and it is.

STL ribs rubbed with Oakridge Competition Rub, and smoked at 325 for 2.5 hours with a fire box full of apple wood when they went on. The sauce is a 50/50 mix of Baby Rays and Stubbs Sweet Heat, with a healthy splash of apple cider vinegar.

I'm cooking for my wife's best friend's daughter's baby shower next weekend - 20 pounds of pulled pork and 9 full STL racks, and this was the final trial run for the ribs. I'm set.....my best bones to date.

I smoked some pablano ABTs on the side to go with the bones.

The bones rock, and so will I next weekend.

VNDsDcEh.jpg

rEeTzjhh.jpg

hwn6IuTh.jpg

V0leoXDh.jpg

A little background here - I like to cook turbo pork ribs. I have them dialed in nicely on my BGE, but I have been searching for the sweet spot on my Assassin for a while. I found it.

I tried this last week on the Assassin to success, and today I needed to see if it's repeatable....and it is.

STL ribs rubbed with Oakridge Competition Rub, and smoked at 325 for 2.5 hours with a fire box full of apple wood when they went on. The sauce is a 50/50 mix of Baby Rays and Stubbs Sweet Heat, with a healthy splash of apple cider vinegar.

I'm cooking for my wife's best friend's daughter's baby shower next weekend - 20 pounds of pulled pork and 9 full STL racks, and this was the final trial run for the ribs. I'm set.....my best bones to date.

I smoked some pablano ABTs on the side to go with the bones.

The bones rock, and so will I next weekend.

hwn6IuTh.jpg
I have to agree the ribs look great. This is obviously an event that you care deeply about or you wouldn't have been practicing for months to get it just right. So, I'll throw out some caution. Sometimes when you load up your smoker, it doesn't cook the same as when just doing two racks of ribs. I'm not familiar with the Assassin. But, I would leave yourself some wiggle room just in case the extra meat slows down the cooking process. I have a Stumps Stretch and I know it performs differently when loaded up than when just one or two items are being cooked. The hot and cold spots definitely come into play more so when loaded with meat. I'm sure you are going to perform like a rock star. But just in case, be prepared to adjust on the fly.

Good luck and have fun.

Robert

Sometimes when you load up your smoker, it doesn't cook the same as when just doing two racks of ribs. I'm not familiar with the Assassin. But, I would leave yourself some wiggle room just in case the extra meat slows down the cooking process. I have a Stumps Stretch and I know it performs differently when loaded up than when just one or two items are being cooked. The hot and cold spots definitely come into play more so when loaded with meat. I'm sure you are going to perform like a rock star. But just in case, be prepared to adjust on the fly.

Good luck and have fun.

Robert

Thanks, Robert. I have been considering this as the big variable when I load the smoker. I know the lower racks definitely run hotter than the upper 2 racks on my Assassin, and I plan to set the pit temp with the probe on the lowest rack. As long as I don't overcook the bottom rack, the upper racks will just be a matter of time.

The butts will be cooked a day ahead of time, so all I'll be dealing with on rib day is the ribs.

This will be the very first time that my Assassin will see a full load.....I'm excited and a little nervous. :-D

Back