THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

longwayfromhome

Full Fledged Farker

Batch Image
Batch Image
Hi there

Driving Dallas to Ponca City on Saturday 16 July, returning on Wednesday 20 July.

Leaving Dallas around 4 so thinking a BBQ dinner in Oklahoma City area - any suggestions? I don't mind going a different route if there is some great location, though I do want to be in Ponca City before midnight.

Leaving Ponca City on Wednesday, have all day to get to Dallas (where I am thinking Pecan Lodge for dinner). So, any location between Ponca City and Dallas for lunch would be worth it, don't mind having 2 lunches even (or two dinners in Dallas) :hungry:. We did 9 locations in 2 days last year around Austin, so we have the staying power!

TIA for your advice.

PS: flying back to NZ through Houston on the Thursday and going to Killen's for lunch or dinner - the queues were too long last time.

If you want to detour a bit, go up the Turner Turnpike (I-44) to Wellston. Butcher BBQ is there, and worth the trip IMHO. Then from Wellston, you can go straight north on 177 to Ponca City.

In OKC, BBQ is a little disappointing to me. Probably the best joint is Leo's, not far from the OKC Zoo, on Kelley. Bedlam BBQ is okay as well, on NE 50th. They have smoked bologna, and collard greens -- you don't see that in every BBQ joint.

Make sure to stop at Butchers BBQ stand in wellston, OK. owned and operated by Levi bouska. Definitely won't disappoint!

If you want to detour a bit, go up the Turner Turnpike (I-44) to Wellston. Butcher BBQ is there, and worth the trip IMHO. Then from Wellston, you can go straight north on 177 to Ponca City. ...

Looks very interesting in the videos. Levi's father is instructing at the Cookshack class on the Sunday-Tuesday. The problem I have is by the time I get out of the Dallas airport and into the rental on the Saturday it will be 5pm, and I am looking at least 3 hours to Wellston. They close when sold out, else 8pm. I guess they will be cleaning up after etc, so may still be around. If I put in a phone order earlier in the day when I land in Houston, then maybe they will hold for me.

My return through the area is on Wednesday and they only open Fri-Sun.

Any suggestions?

PS: Looks like they use Southern Pride smokers.

Thanks everyone, here is what went down …

Saturday evening:
· IAH, Houston, TX: Whataburger: Had been advised this was the best chain burger in the US, which surprised me because in my experience In-n-Out in CA have always won that contest. I tried a double meat? Burger. This was OK, certainly better than the major chains, but better than In-n-Out – I don’t know about that, maybe it’s a Texas thing?
· Purcell, OK: Vans Pig Stand: just off the I-36N, was there late (8pm, luggage delayed), but found it a nice location (I liked the frogs in the carpark). Tried the main meats, didn’t have any expectations, but I really liked the pulled pork. The collard greens were excellent and I like the vinegar and hot peppers sauce that goes with it. They had white bread that was fried on one side – I really liked that, I usually don’t eat sliced white bread with my BBQ. Very friendly.

Sun/Mon/Tue:
· Ponca City, OK: Cookshack kitchens: cheated here, over 3 days had some true experts cook a huge variety of dishes including 100+lb whole hog (delish!) on a wide variety of Cookshack gear. In reviewing my BBQ capabilities, I came to the depressing conclusion it is the cook, not just the cooker, as these guys turned out some excellent food.

Wed: Dave B from Butcher’s BBQ products recommended a few locations, so we headed to Tulsa (by the northern route – thanks Stuart) before going down to OKC. A day of firsts …
· Sperry, OK (just outside Tulsa): Buffalo’s BBQ: They had Prime Rib as their Wed special. Can’t imagine the heat inside their caravan – man it was hot. The Prime Rib was cooked beautifully.
· Skiatook, OK (outside Tulsa): Mac’s BBQ: We found this a great location, with a lovely owner?/pitmaster (Adam Green). I thought the ribs here were as good as anything I have had anywhere commercially and anything I have cooked at home – absolutely spot on. Tried smoked bologna for the first time – ah, different.
· OKC: Backdoor BBQ: A very well set up location with the friendliest staff. Meat was all pretty standard fare, with an unusual smoked pressed turkey which I had never tried before – actually tasted very nice, but the texture was off-putting. I loved the fried, stringed onions and jalapenos mix – outstanding side, not seen before.
· Wellston, outside OKC: Butcher BBQ Stand: I knew these guys were closed, but went to look at the location – as the Kiwis say – ‘choice man, sweet as.’ I’d love to be there on the right day – the smoker was powering away (I think they are a low-and-slow cook shop), the aroma was tantalising. I see they have Cookshack gear.
· I was too late into Dallas leaving OKC area around 6pm, so missed the Pecan Lodge, but I took the 177 from Wellston south for a lot of the way instead of the I-35 and that was endlessly fascinating to a guy that is interested in agriculture, the people and local communities (the drive across from Ponca City to Tulsa was similar). Saw swathes cut by tornadoes some years before and marvelled how green everything was – this is a great alternate route from OKC to Dallas, and the speed limit is still 65 so you don’t lose that much time.

Thu: morning flight to Houston for the plane to Auckland that night.
· Pearland, TX: Killen’s BBQ: This place is a joy to visit. Arrived at 1:30 to a full house and only 20 people in the queue, with everything still available on the menu. So, tried the ribs, sausage, beef rib, bone-in pork belly and brisket. Ribs, sausage and beef rib were very good, come back for more. Bone-in pork belly was outstanding, probably could have been trimmed of a bit more fat, but all the same terrific. The brisket was magnificent. Now it is 11 months since I tried all the greats in central Texas, but this was at least the equal of those, having the same buttery smoothness as Franklin (but not their subtle lemony, astringent bark). I knew it was going to be good, but WOW. Tried one side (creamed corn – terrific, but too sweet for my non-USA taste buds). The desserts were highly praised before visiting, so tried the banana pudding and the bread pudding. Again, both overly sweet for my liking, and the banana pud was too sloppy for a person more used to East Coast/Southern BP. The bread pudding was excellent, something to get next time. Having grown up in Australia and New Zealand on bread-and-butter pudding made of sliced bread (way to use stale bread), it was somewhat different, almost like a more gooey Cinnabon product, but I think with a cut in the sugar, it could be an international classic. I then had a good look around, guided by a delightful chap named Manny – he was a great ambassador for Killens. Their J&R Oyler 700 (they also have a 1300) is a dream machine (for me) and he said it is working very well for them.
· Houston, TX: Goode Co: I can’t review this place other than to say their atmosphere was attractive and their sliced point end brisket was also very, very good. I was well and truly overheated by the time I got here and I gave the brisket a half-hearted nibble and sat drinking unsweetened tea for 2 hours until I could get back in the car and battle the peak hour traffic north to IAH. What I saw looked good and the group of 4 Goode Co restaurants is kinda unusual. I’d come back for a proper go based on what I saw and tried.

Overall, I loved visiting a new area (OK), finding surprises (Mac’s in Skiatook), locating places to visit next time (Butcher BBQ Stand), and confirming local recommendations (Killens). It was much more humid than I expected and a fall/autumn visit would be a real treat. Gawd, you guys are spoiled for BBQ – envy, envy. Guess we just have to do something about that!

Thanks to the all people I met along the way in TX and particularly OK.

Back