THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

BobM

Babbling Farker
I got a BBQ Guru CyberQ WiFi ATC system for Christmas. I've done 4 cooks with it on my 2 WSMs.

I could not get it to work in Ac-Hoc mode with my Android phone, I had to manually configure it in infrastructure mode.
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?p=2310326#post2310326

I did an adapter mod to my WSMs.
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?p=2314515#post2314515

Starting up.
I found it works better if I brought the cooker close to the target temperature, within about 25F, before engaging the system.
When I did it this way, the ATC slowly brought the temperature up to my set point, then kept it within +-2F.
When I let the CyberQ bring the temperature up a long way, over 100F, it overshot the target temperature and stayed high for a 1/2 hour.

Fan damper.
I have the Pit Viper 10 cfm fan. On both my WSMs, I found the system works best when I set the fan damper about 1/2 open.

Open lid.
The CyberQ WiFi has open lid detection. When the system detects a large, rapid drop in pit temperature, it temporarily disables fan operation. This feature works well. Even with this, after reclosing the lid, the temperature tends to spike. I had to manually intervene on a couple of occasions by closing the top vent for a couple of minutes to let the cooker stabilize.

Food probe.
I used a food probe on one cook, it and the alarm worked well.

Summary.
I am able to get into it from my LAN and the internet, it sends e-mail alerts, open lid detection, alarms and all the other features work as advertised.

The unit works works well, I am very happy with it. :thumb:

Bob

On the 22 1/2" WSM.
cyberqwifi0101.jpg

Close up.
cyberqwifi0102.jpg

On the 18 1/2" WSM.
cyberqwifi0201.jpg

Close up.
cyberqwifi0202.jpg

Last edited:
great review Bob. can you now run 2 pits on the cyber q? thought i saw something on it but cant remember which model.

any pics of what the software looks like on your phone/computer?

Back