THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

cfrazier77

is Blowin Smoke!
Name or Nickame
Craig
I just got a CyberQ for my Humphrey's DEB and am having problems. Their office is closed today for the holiday so hopefully the brethern can help. I was able to successfully set it up on my home network but I cannot get it to email notifications. I set it up as in the instructions including using GMX, Yahoo, and their email server. Is it possible to get email to work? I was going to use email to text to receive temp notifications so it would not matter where I was.

Other questions for other CyberQ users.
1 Pit Pal only works on my home network right? Is there a way to change the audio notification with Pit Pal on android, Galaxy s7? Right now it is the same sound as all my other system notifications.

2 Is there a better way to monitor than Pit Pal?

3 Is the only way to make pit temp changes with logging into the CyberQ?

4 If email does not work is there another way to receive temp notifications away from home?

Thanks in advance I hope you all have a great new year!

I've never had a problem with email until my last cook, I didn't receive an email until about 5 hours into the cook, and it came without my touching any settings, so I'm not sure what was going on there!

1. If you can get your router set-up correctly you can get Pit Pal to access it from the internet, I've had it working once or twice (on iPhone though) the problem seems to be my router software.
2. "CyberCook Mini" is in the iPhone app store, it's about $10, and may be worth looking at if it's in the Google App store. You can also use the web browser on your phone/tablet/computer to access the CyberQ settings and controller.
3. You can make changes to pit and meat temps on the CyberQ itself by pressing a few buttons, check the manual for details as i rarely do it and can't remember, it's simple though.
4. Get your partner or children to ring you up every half hour ;-)

Last edited:
I did not think that the router could be blocking its internet access since I could access it from my network. I will take it to work and try it there.

I use the pitpal app and love it. If you get the port forwarding set up, you can get notifications anywhere in the world. You can also change the temperature from the pitpal app if you get the port forwarding working. I don't know of a way to get the pitpal app to sound different than the other apps.

Do you have the port forwarding set up?

Make sure that you also have your e-mail port open so that the device can send e-mail.

If you have port forwarding set-up, you can test the ports by using http://canyouseeme.org/ This will test the ports from the outside to verify your router is accepting and routing calls to the open port forwarding. If it cannot see the associated port, then port forwarding is not correct. You must test each port independently.

Check the documentation to see which ports have to be forwarded to your local IP address.

I use the pitpal app and love it. If you get the port forwarding set up, you can get notifications anywhere in the world. You can also change the temperature from the pitpal app if you get the port forwarding working. I don't know of a way to get the pitpal app to sound different than the other apps.

Do you have the port forwarding set up?

I am setting up port forwarding tonight. I got a email from the Pit Pal developer and right now changing the sound cannot be done, but they are working on it for a future version. He said this is their biggest complaint.

Question, once I have the port forwarding set up how do I connect to it with pit pal? I need to put in more than just its IP address right? How do you change the pit temp with it? I have been trying, on the same network, and I must be doing it wrong. I have the pro version of the app.

I am setting up port forwarding tonight. I got a email from the Pit Pal developer and right now changing the sound cannot be done, but they are working on it for a future version. He said this is their biggest complaint.

Question, once I have the port forwarding set up how do I connect to it with pit pal? I need to put in more than just its IP address right? How do you change the pit temp with it? I have been trying, on the same network, and I must be doing it wrong. I have the pro version of the app.

You have to put in the ip address after you get the port forwarding done. To change the temperature, you tap on the pencil and set what temperature you want and hit save changes.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20170104-135216.jpg
    Screenshot_20170104-135216.jpg
    7.8 KB · Views: 46
You have to put in the ip address after you get the port forwarding done. To change the temperature, you tap on the pencil and set what temperature you want and hit save changes.

Thanks! I got the temp changing working. Will work on port forwarding tonight or tomorrow.

Update, I successfully got the port forwarding working, it was not that hard. Thanks guys!!! I saw on one of the guru videos that I need to give the router a channel of 1,6, or 11. When I went to do so it would not let me. It said the firmware was out of date. So, will update that and try again. Seriously, thank you to all of you for helping. This is brethren.

Back