Creole seasoning for jambalaya

rdstoll

is one Smokin' Farker
Making jambalaya today but want to find an alternative to using Tony C’s. Anyone got a good creole spice mixture recipe or another brand you like?

I have 2 or 3 Cajun or Creole seasonings in my cabinet. Tony C (2 different versions), and a jar I think the wife got from Aldi. They are all way too salty. The only way I can use them is to put a sprinkle in and hit the pot with a mix I use that omits salt. Gonna take forever to use them up- but I hate tossing money into the trash. I use:3 tablespoons paprika (I prefer smoked paprika)
2 tablespoons fine kosher salt (IF I were making from scratch)
2 tablespoons garlic powder
1 tablespoon ground black pepper
1 tablespoon ground white pepper
1 tablespoons onion powder
1 tablespoon dried oregano
1 tablespoon cayenne (I hate putting a qty on this ingredient- this is as much a
"to taste" as salt is- everyone has different levels of tolerance)

1/2 tablespoon dried thyme

I like his videos. Please tell me about the seasoning. I'm looking for more flavors. Seems most of the popular ones are too strong with Salt being the primary ingredient.

Thanks,

Robert

Haven't cooked with it yet, just tried some from the shaker. Salt and garlic are first 2 ingredients. It's not heavy on the salt. The garlic, and heat come thru. Seems well balanced.

Like these kinda post….

It’s fun to see who’s using what seasonings

Y’all haven’t named what I use yet…. still waiting :laugh:

I use this recipe when making gumbo.

https://www.thekitchn.com/gumbo-recipe-23255645

It says to use a salt free Cajun seasoning and at the end includes a recipe for salt free Cajun seasoning in case you couldn’t find one. This is the recipe they provide:

1 1/2 teaspoon paprika
1 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
3/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
3/4 teaspoon onion powder
3/4 teaspoon dried oregano
3/4 teaspoon dried thyme

I’ve made this recipe with this Cajun seasoning several times and it’s delicious!

I got this recipe from Saiko's post on gumbo...always have some in a shaker.

The cajun spice mix:
Mix together 1 TSBP paprika, 2 1/2 tsp salt, 1 tsp onion powder, 1 tsp garlic powder, 1/2 tsp cayenne, 1 1/2 tsp fresh ground black pepper, 1/2 tsp oregano, 1/2 tsp thyme. Set aside.

Similar to some of the others posted previously, here is my own Cajun Dust recipe:

1 Tb Paprika (sweet, if you have it)
1 tsp Onion Powder
1 tsp Garlic Powder
1 tsp Cayenne
3/4 tsp Black Pepper
3/4 tsp White Pepper
1/2 tsp Thyme
1/2 tsp Oregano
1/4 tsp Cumin

For a salted version, add 3/4 tsp Kosher Salt to this mixture.

I've used Emeril's, Tony C's, Zatarains and Slap Yo Mama for jambalaya and I honestly can't say one of them was definitely superior.

Time Out;

All these great creole seasoning recipes

Add two sticks butter
One 12 oz can of regular beer
12 oz chicken stock
One large onion thick sliced

Simmer, add large shrimps shell on and simmer til done

Bowl of shrimps, with juices plus loaf of bread

Shell shrimp, wrap in bread, dip in juices.

Eat.

Thank me later

Time in.

Last edited:
I love this from Donald Link's Real Cajun cookbook and use it every time.
2 Tbs Cayenne pepper
2 Tbs paprika
1 Tbs ground white pepper
1 Tbs ground black pepper
4 Tbs chili powder
1 Tbs garlic powder

The recipe calls for one Tbs of the mixture for the jambalaya but I love using it in other Cajun dishes and even as a rub too.

Back