THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

DerHusker

Babbling Farker
There is a “Brethren Inspired” Throwdown going on now in the Throwdown Form. As both the wife and I are doing the Weight Watchers program, I looked for something that would align with what we’re to be eating. I found a Kung Pao Chicken Cook in the 2016 “Wok This Way” Throwdown that @SSV won. Chicken and Veggies plus some spice is just what the WW program ordered so that is what I went with.

Now here is the kicker: We’re on a self-insolation order here in California due to COVID 19. We’re still allowed to go to the store to replenish essential supplies but obviously this cook wasn’t essential. So, I went thru what I had on hand and I came up with what I believed would an acceptable list of ingredients.

Here’s a couple of pics of the Ingredients I ended up using.

I ended up using the following:

Marinate Ingredients:
28 oz. boneless skinless chicken breast cut in 1” cubes. (2 large breasts)
1 tbsp. Shaoxing wine. (I used Rice Wine Vinegar)
1 tbsp. light soy (I couldn’t believe I was out of soy sauce so I used Ponzu)
2 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. cornstarch

Sauce Ingredients:
½ cup low sodium chick stock.
5 tbsp. light soy (I used Ponzu)
2 tbsp. Chinese black vinegar (I used Balsamic)
2 tbsp. Shaoxing wine. (I used Rice Wine Vinegar)
2 tsp. dark soy. (I used Fish Sauce)
2 tsp. Hoisin sauce (I used Oyster sauce)
2 tbsp. sugar. (I left this out due to WW)
1 tbsp. Samba Chili sauce
1 tsp. Fish sauce
1 tsp. cornstarch

Stir Fry Ingredients:
4 tbsp. cooking oil – divided
1 ½ tbsp. minced garlic
1 tbsp. minced ginger
½ red bell pepper diced into 1” pieces.
½ green bell pepper diced into 1” pieces.
8-10 dried chilies. (I used 1 serrano, 1 jalapeno and 1 yellow and heat level was just about perfect)
1 tbsp. Sichuan Peppercorns. (I added a pinch of red pepper flakes)
4 green onion stems (cut into 1” pieces)
½ cup roast/unsalted peanuts (I didn’t have any so these were omitted)
2 tsp. sesame oil

In addition to the above I added the following:
½ large carrot diced into 1” pieces.
½ medium yellow onion
½ medium red onion
1 stalk of diced celery
1-½ zucchinis diced into 1” pieces.

Here is the Wok out on my Gas Grill side burner. I heated it up and added in 1 tbsp of Chili Oil and 1 tbsp of Sesame Oil. I put in the marinated chicken breasts

and cooked it until everything started to brown.

I removed the chicken and set it aside while I started cooking the veggies. 2 tbsp of Sesame Oil and added the diced carrot first since they would take the longest to cook. After approximately 2 minutes I then added the chili peppers, then the onions, the bell peppers, the sauce,

and finally the zucchini.

Once they had cooked for approximately 3 minutes, I added the chicken back in and cooked for another 3 minutes. After that I added the green onion in for the last 30 seconds.

I had previously made up a double batch of half Jasmine Brown Rice and half Ancient Grains. I heated some of this up and placed it on a plate like SSV did. Here are a few pics of everything plates up.

This was delicious and the wife thought it was “awesome!”

Thanks for looking.

Last edited:
More time then any, All the chinese take outs in my area are shut down. I am about to start making some salmon sushi, general tso shrimp, beef/chicken on a stick, and crab rangoon.

Back