THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

mgp03051

Full Fledged Farker
Just a thought... Could team's crowd fund their own contest? A simple 4 category KCBS event without all that goes along with organized / charity driven contests.

Held at a private campground or property that already has infrastructure (water / elec ) in place, crowd funded thru local BBQ assoc (NEBS, MABA,FBA ect). Teams buy a share (entry fee) in the contest. Expenses would be made public (venue costs, tent rental, sanctioning fees, rep expenses, ect) and remaining would be the prize pool. Once all shares are sold (capped at a set number) the association would apply for KCBS sanctioning and secure the venue for the date. I know this would take an investment by the team’s months in advance and the association organizing the event but the network of teams in each organization could help finding the venue and volunteer to help with other facets of the contest

Not sure you'd get enough people to sign up for something that might not happen vs a contest that has an organizer and setup is ready to go (assuming of course it isn't one of those new contest that isn't well organized and doesn't pay out :-D).

I know most crowdfunding sites don't take your money till you hit the minimum, but I'd be hesitant to sign up for a weekend that might not happen when there is already one there set in "stone" and you can plan accordingly (obviously not all weekends are taken).

It is an interesting idea. I think it could work but you would need to have all the details worked out before starting the crowd funding campaign. You would almost need to know the location and proposed date before hand.

I also think that it would show the teams interested in an event the true costs associated to put on an event (sanction, reps, venue, etc.)

exactly all ducks in a row, commitment from venue, date, expense report(estimated worst case scenario), and payout all fully disclosed

t the true costs associated to put on an event (sanction, reps, venue, etc.)

Let me help with the costs...

Assume 25 teams at a campground where the team is responsible for paying the campground site fee.

$650 - KCBS Sanction Fee - This is the total paid to KCBS based on 25 teams and would go up $12 for each extra team.

$400 - Rep expense. Have to pay for 2 reps travel at .56 a mile plus overnight lodging. I am approximating here and assume the reps are close by. If I repped this one I would bring my camper and stay onsite so my expenses would be cheap.

$100 - Judging supplies. Water, crackers, paper towels, gloves...etc...(no goodies bags or extras)

$100 - Campground pavilion. A guess. For 25 teams you need 4 tables of judges. Where are you going to put them?

So at this point you have $1,250 of expenses divided by 25 teams or $50 per team.

Set the entry at $250 per team and you have $6,250 on income...less $1,250 of expenses..that leaves $5,000 for prize money. No trophies, no public, no PC, no festival...bare minimum.

Now the question is....would you sign up?

Assume 25 teams at a campground where the team is responsible for paying the campground site fee.

$650 - KCBS Sanction Fee - This is the total paid to KCBS based on 25 teams and would go up $12 for each extra team.

$400 - Rep expense. Have to pay for 2 reps travel at .56 a mile plus overnight lodging. I am approximating here and assume the reps are close by. If I repped this one I would bring my camper and stay onsite so my expenses would be cheap.

$100 - Judging supplies. Water, crackers, paper towels, gloves...etc...(no goodies bags or extras)

$100 - Campground pavilion. A guess. For 25 teams you need 4 tables of judges. Where are you going to put them?

So at this point you have $1,250 of expenses divided by 25 teams or $50 per team.

Set the entry at $250 per team and you have $6,250 on income...less $1,250 of expenses..that leaves $5,000 for prize money. No trophies, no public, no PC, no festival...bare minimum.

Honestly, I like the fun and activities of most contests, but one of my favorites is the bare bones, no public event...Young Harris. It's fun to have a weekend with just the BBQ family and no other noses poking in and out of my space. Now, they do have trophies, but that is just a small piece. *for those not familiar with this event, it is not organized through a Go Fund Me, but it is a bare bones type of event for just the teams*

This whole idea doesn't seem terrible in concept, but I see where Jason is coming from as well. I am totally a last minute registrant for 90% of our events, so I would not be the team that would sign up months in advance for something that may or may not happen.

Apparently the answer is yes. 34 teams in 2 days. An organizer stepped up that has done these types of self funded contests in the past. If you use a campground, no infrastructure cost. If you don't have to worry about public attendance, advertising, entertainment, vendors, etc. it becomes a whole lot easier to set up. No crowd sourcing, just team entry fees covering the cost and funding the prize pool.

Didn't hurt that a major contest just miles away set for the same weekend cancelled, leaving a lot of teams with a hole in their schedule.

Apparently the answer is yes. 34 teams in 2 days. An organizer stepped up that has done these types of self funded contests in the past. If you use a campground, no infrastructure cost. If you don't have to worry about public attendance, advertising, entertainment, vendors, etc. it becomes a whole lot easier to set up. No crowd sourcing, just team entry fees covering the cost and funding the prize pool.

Didn't hurt that a major contest just miles away set for the same weekend cancelled, leaving a lot of teams with a hole in their schedule.

I gotta say, that's pretty damn cool.

• Thanks
Reactions: CBQ

If the purse is only $5000 I wouldn't sign up.

I guess 30+ teams would, as it stands the purse is only $2500. Being an Auto for the Jack probably helps.

https://www.facebook.com/events/170354346661108/

I remember a late night conversation with someone that had/has been around forever, and talking about automatics. One point he made stuck with me, and it was that if you win one that's great at the time. It could suck if another contest popped up later, and it was on a date the winner of the auto couldn't make for some reason. The point was that just because a contest is an auto today, doesn't mean that it will be when the qualifying period ends.

• Thanks
Reactions: Coz
GA, AL, TN teams...I am going to organize one of these in the fall at a campground in the metro ATL area.

I will front the KCBS sanction fee myself and if 25 teams sign up we'll have a contest. If not, I'm out $350...oh well.

Prize money will not be over $5k but the winner will get a Jack draw.

So I'll start looking at campgrounds that will meet our needs and let you know.

GA, AL, TN teams...I am going to organize one of these in the fall at a campground in the metro ATL area.

I will front the KCBS sanction fee myself and if 25 teams sign up we'll have a contest. If not, I'm out $350...oh well.

I'll be there. I prefer NE Georgia please. Gwinnett county is best :becky:.

You Atlanta boys (and girls) get to have all the fun :mrgreen:

Fark yeah.

Back