THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Fatback Joe

Babbling Farker
Been a while since I had done a salami that didn't require time in the curing chamber so thought I would knock one out this weekend. Went with the mix below for the seasoning.

Just under 3 lbs ground pork
2.5% Sea Salt
.25% Cure #1
.3% Crushed Red Pepper
.2% Minced Garlic
1% Black Pepper Corns
.2% Coriander Seeds
Pinch of rosemary

Eyeball some red wine - probably about an 1/8 Cup

The pork

D6PtruG.jpg

The spices

JwxspYo.jpg

Added the wine and gave it a mix for approx 2 mins.......until it looked like this.

Rzelo7f.jpg

Stuffed into collagen casings. I don't remember the exact size at the moment, but it was just under 3" diameter.

D7HXgcm.jpg

Put that in the fridge over night to let things get happy and then into the smoker the next morning with cherry wood for the smoke.

z1PEASn.jpg

Kept the smoker around 180 or so, until the IT hit 150. Then into an icebath to stop the cooking.

I2AxB3N.jpg

Let that chill in the fridge for about 8 hours and decided it was time to crack it open and see how she looked.

DfJ6jKH.jpg

If I had it to do over again, I probably would have crushed the peppercorns more than I did, but still pretty happy with things.

I'd hit that!! Just curious, do you prob for temp through the casing or at one of the tied off ends? Give me some sharp cheddar and some saltines, and I'm set!!

Bob

Last edited:
Back