THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

DanB

is One Chatty Farker
Hi All With winter on it's way out and spring coming, time to fire up the smokers. First thing comes to mind is brisket.

Any GOOD news about Prime briskets at Costco's in Hackensack. Haven't heard much lately about them.

Thanks Dan

Last edited:
They have a ton of them in Hackensack. Got a 20 pounder 2 or 3 weeks ago, haven't smoked it yet.

Things you should know.
- They are "National" Brand which I find you need to pick through a lot more to find a good one. Many of the ones that were out looked very lean with the exception of the massive fat layer on the top.

- They basically break open a case and put a few out on the shelf. The other many cases they have are marked for case sales.... so if they ones on the shelf don't look great, I don't think there is a whole lot of opportunity to pick through other cases.

- I paid $3.29 a pound which was actually slightly less than the cost of the choice angus at RD down the street.

- The real score was picking up some skin on and skin off pork bellies (which they have huge quantities of)

Haven't cooked it yet, so I'll reserve judgement on if it is better than the Angus Choice from RD.

Costco prime

They have a ton of them in Hackensack. Got a 20 pounder 2 or 3 weeks ago, haven't smoked it yet.

Things you should know.
- They are "National" Brand which I find you need to pick through a lot more to find a good one. Many of the ones that were out looked very lean with the exception of the massive fat layer on the top.

- They basically break open a case and put a few out on the shelf. The other many cases they have are marked for case sales.... so if they ones on the shelf don't look great, I don't think there is a whole lot of opportunity to pick through other cases.

- I paid $3.29 a pound which was actually slightly less than the cost of the choice angus at RD down the street.

- The real score was picking up some skin on and skin off pork bellies (which they have huge quantities of)

Haven't cooked it yet, so I'll reserve judgement on if it is better than the Angus Choice from RD.

I just might have to join Costco, for prime brisket. I'm going to see "IF" I can get in and looked around. I talk to a butcher about prime briskets he wanted $8.99.
I understand the Teterboro Costco only carries choice flats.

Thanks DanB
PS Do you have at a have business to join Hackensack?

Last edited:
SAB-CAB Brisket?

Things you should know.

Hi All Restaurant Depot has SUPERIOR ANGUS BEEF BRISKET, is there any difference between that and Certified Angus Beef Brisket?

Thanks Dan

You may want to give one of those "lean" Primes a try. I don't use them, but a friend of mine has been for a while now. He says they have progressively gotten worse & worse as far as fat trim goes. A couple weeks back he had to trim one so severely that he ended up chunking the trimmed brisket up & feeding it to his dog instead of cooking it. Just because they say it's Prime doesn't mean it's a prime piece of meat. Buyer beware.

Primes

Just because they say it's Prime doesn't mean it's a prime piece of meat. Buyer beware.

I hear what you are saying. I had a prime once and looked no better choice.
Thanks DanB

Back