THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Untrimmed are reasonable many times around here in So Cali. which means between $2.50 to 3.00lb, Select. Trimming close seems to add up to about 7% or so waste. Most of us trim to meat level.

Why not go to a liter trim and use that layer of fat in the cook, maybe get a crisp portion (ala steak) which might possibly earn us around 5% waste?

Keep in mind Vons "Ranchers Reserve", Ralphes, Albertsons sales id for untrimmed select meat where Costco is choice and trimmed very well. I bought a cryo bag at costco for ~ $4.24/lb that was "Pealed". Still had a little fat which is good. Very tasty.

It's getting harder and harder to find it trimmed for under $4.00 a pound. In fact, I don't think I've seen a 3.98 sale for months. Smart 'n Final in my area has untrimmed bulk for $3.29 a pound, but it looks pretty messy. I just can't bring myself to pay more than $4 though. Just seems wrong to me, even though everything else is going up right along with it.

I went to "butcher on the Block" in the Chicago subburbs and paid about 4.99 a pound. I wish Costco had it in our area, I think their tri-tip had more flavor.

Back