Corning More Briskets and Butts (more pastrami)

Jason TQ

somebody shut me the fark up.

Batch Image
Batch Image
Batch Image
Batch Image
When I scored 10 briskets on that Kroger sale for like $1.99/lb I figured I'd cure some for pastrami as I prefer that a lot more than normal brisket :becky:. The next week they had butts on sale and since I also love pastrami butts I got 4 and tossed them into the brine.

So today is round 2. I'll be taking out the 4 butts and 2 briskets to vacuum seal. Then making 2 more batches of brine to corn/cure up 4 more of those briskets.

Last go round I cut the briskets in half perpendicular so one half is mostly flat and the other is mostly point. Might leave 2 of the 4 completely whole today. Not sure yet.

I follow meatheads brining recipe for ratio's of water:salt:cure#1. Then I toss in random "pickling spices" and brown sugar.
https://amazingribs.com/tested-recipes/beef-and-bison-recipes/home-made-corned-beef-recipe/

Butts are in this tub
gwkAQBZl.jpg

Briskets in this tub with some of the others I'll be corning today
BRiuhlGl.jpg

Fv7AxMTl.jpg

uxrvaFul.jpg

More to come.........

That sounds great Jason! To be honest, I order pastrami at places, before I order brisket if I know it is house made.

Must be nice to have a refrigerator other than THE refrigerator.

I've got a freezer in the garage, maybe I need to get rid of some stuff to make room for a fridge. Love pastrami.

Must be nice to have a refrigerator other than THE refrigerator.

I've got a freezer in the garage, maybe I need to get rid of some stuff to make room for a fridge. Love pastrami.

Yeah super lucky. Inherited a 3rd fridge when we moves :grin:

Am I understanding that you brine/cure, then vacuum and refrigerate or freeze for smoking or cooking later?

You certainly had a busy Sunday. With the bulk of the work done, you can reap the benefits and relax later.

I'm still jealous that you were able to score all those packers for such a low price. Still $4.46 a pound here.

We expect pastrami videos in the near future!

Looking forward to cook photos and thanks for the link to article. Smoked corned beef has become an interest after trying it recently.

Maybe it's a change of pace, or the fact that brisket is sky high in my neck of the woods, but I am really enjoying Porkstrami.

Do you notice a difference if between smoking right away and freezing awhile then thawing and smoking?

I would be all over Brisket at $1.99

Wrapped at this point with some water to steam it a smidge. Probably getting done here shortly
e63796a9a836a1ced5dee898216cd8f1.jpg

Back