Corned Spares and Cabbage

Hamdrew

Full Fledged Farker
Name or Nickame
Hamdrew
Awful weekend weather had been forecast all week, needed an indoor meal. Mom and her Mom decided on corned beef. Happened to have a full rack of spares brining for almost 4wks, so I decided to take a little risk. Very glad I did.

ewKAN1B.jpg

~1hr in

BvHaZcv.jpg

~3.5hrs in

Just low-salt Pop's brine with quite a bit of garlic, cayenne, and black pepper in it. In the pot went some fresh parsley and thyme, dried bay leaves, marjoram, savory, mustard powder, and Spice Islands "Peppercorn Melange" (green, black, white, pink). Cabbage, potatoes and carrots. Little bit of low-sodium beef stock. As expected the finished broth is incredible from all the bone and collagen of the spare ribs. Already have some curing butt chunks allotted for the next round of corned pork; hard not to at 99c/lb

Food looks and sounds great. Would you mind to elaborate on you "ribs that have been brining for four weeks"? I assume pork but maybe beef?

Thanks,

Robert

Are you saying that you brined some spare ribs in Corned Beef brine? That's genius.

OR if you meant short ribs, what's genius too!

Food looks and sounds great. Would you mind to elaborate on you "ribs that have been brining for four weeks"? I assume pork but maybe beef?

Thanks,

Robert

Sorry, I did mean PORK spare ribs.

https://www.smokingmeatforums.com/ams/pops6927s-curing-brines-regular-and-lo-salt.9838/

I have become a big fan of curing any/all pork the past several months, and really prefer spares on my offset.. Untrimmed slabs always seem finished after 1wk max (STL ~3 days), but weather and life have gotten in the way.

There were no pickling spices in the brine other than some mustard, red and black pepper. Just in the actual cook itself, and I threw them in a coffee grinder.

Nice looking feed, be perfect here at the moment

As expensive as beef is for me, you can imagine how happy I am to know that I can make just as good corned/salt-meat for 99c/lb.

A $15 rack, <$1 of potatoes, a 90c head of cabbage, and $1/lb of carrots filled 8 huge plates like that. And I even had a little left over.

Back