THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

twofishy4u

Knows what a fatty is.
So here's the deal. I own a Daniel Boone GMG. I like it. Use it almost everyday. I am in Wisconsin so it is cold and the blanket helps, but I really hate the stupid blanket. I'd like to upgrade in quality not size. I WANT an American made grill. These are what I am looking at. OTHERS? Very curious to the design of Englander/cookshack models. I like the idea but does this really work? The biggest thing that will ever go on my pellet smoker is a brisket. I do burgers, steaks, chicken and ribs most times. GMG sucks at steaks unless reversed seared....honestly use my gaser for that but would rather use the pellet grill. Suggestions and reviews needed. Thank you all.

I was concerned with the 18"x18" size of the indirect area as well as the potential for the upper rack to exhibit a large temperature change from the side over the direct grill to the side over the indirect area. I'm not sure if those concerns were valid but when other options are easy to see in use the lazy made me look elsewhere.

I really like the PG 500 and how it cooks, came very close to purchasing one, the Englander is a copy of the PG and is licensed by Fast Eddy but takes cost cutting measures to hit their price point. Looked at a used Yoder 480 that was for sale in my area, 2yr old grill and lets just say the owner didn't take good care of it and turned me off, looked at the Blaz'n too and out of those 4 the PG 500 was the one I liked the most. I've never seen one in person but talked to a lot of happy owners and yes they work and I like the different temp zones too.

If you step up one more level to the Cookshack PG1000, it is insulated which would help with pellet consumption in your part of the country. My FEC-100 uses the same insulation and I average 3/4 to a pound of pellets or less per hour no matter what the outside temp. I hear that Yoder's cook great but are pellet hogs and you would likely still need the blanket.

Cookshack exhibits at a lot of national shows and runs cooking classes, then sells their demo units for 20% to 25% off of retail with full warranty so you might want to give them a call. Given today's economy, they might be willing to dicker more than usual.

Too bad the National Restaurant Association show in Chicago had to be called off, Cookshack brings in a bunch of cookers in for that and would rather sell them locally instead of shipping them back to Oklahoma.

Last edited:
That’s a nice list! Out of the ones you have listed, the PG500 would be the one I’d choose, no doubt about it. A few questions for you...

- Sounds like grilling is very important to you. How many people do you grill for on a regular basis and do you enjoy entertaining?

- You mentioned that you often use your gas grill instead of your GMG because of its better grilling performance. How big is your gas grills main grate and how often do you find it loaded down when grilling? Or do you tend to just use the gasser for quick searing when doing reverse sear type cooks (as a tag team partner to your GMG)?

- As far as low n slow, you mentioned that a brisket would be the biggest hunk of meat your new grill would see. What about multiple racks of ribs? And if you do cook multiple racks, are you ok using a rib rack?

- What is your max budget?

- In moving away from your GMG, what are the top 3-4 things you hope to gain in a new pellet grill? Sounds like better cold weather performance and grilling abilities might be 2 of the 3-4, but curious to hear whatcha have to say.

My gasser is a Weber summit s-670, its nickname is hellfire. First year went thru over 200lbs in propane. It is actually way to big for our needs unless we have a party with over 20 people which never happens anymore. When I do steaks on the weber they just stay on there. I don't switch between grills.

I grill for wife and I and 2 kids 99% of the time. Meals this week were...…pork loin, hamburgers, brats and dogs, baby back ribs.

The GMG downfalls are.... the controller. I hate the warm up procedure of waiting for 0-3 and then going to temp. Wife hates it too as I'll have her use it. 1 wrong push and you have to start over. It doesn't hold consistant temps very well. I think it's hotter. Ribs must be done under 200 or they get over cooked.....usually 180 is the sweet spot for a 3-2-1 method. The wifi thing is such a pita. The Bluetooth is OK but internet is terrible. Dealer was honest and said my Gen 1 system basically sucks. I really hate this stupid blanket. It looks terrible. Also it makes it harder to get pellets in as the lid won't stay open with it on. I plan on selling the GMG once a new grill is bought and proven.

The price point of the Englander is great and I do believe it would hold heat better than a pg500....and it is available at home depot so it is returnable if I hate. I really like the build and looks of the Grand Slam but I don't know if steaks can be done on it efficiently.

Budget is under $2k shipped to me in Wisconsin. Thanks guys and keep it coming.

Found a local dealer with YODER! Can't believe it. I'm pretty much down to that and blazngrill grand slam. I think blazn has better paint and easier to clean but the controller of the yoder seems nicer. Can't wrap my head around the pd500. Seems to good to be true

My gasser is a Weber summit s-670, its nickname is hellfire. First year went thru over 200lbs in propane. It is actually way to big for our needs unless we have a party with over 20 people which never happens anymore. When I do steaks on the weber they just stay on there. I don't switch between grills.

I grill for wife and I and 2 kids 99% of the time. Meals this week were...…pork loin, hamburgers, brats and dogs, baby back ribs.

The GMG downfalls are.... the controller. I hate the warm up procedure of waiting for 0-3 and then going to temp. Wife hates it too as I'll have her use it. 1 wrong push and you have to start over. It doesn't hold consistant temps very well. I think it's hotter. Ribs must be done under 200 or they get over cooked.....usually 180 is the sweet spot for a 3-2-1 method. The wifi thing is such a pita. The Bluetooth is OK but internet is terrible. Dealer was honest and said my Gen 1 system basically sucks. I really hate this stupid blanket. It looks terrible. Also it makes it harder to get pellets in as the lid won't stay open with it on. I plan on selling the GMG once a new grill is bought and proven.

The price point of the Englander is great and I do believe it would hold heat better than a pg500....and it is available at home depot so it is returnable if I hate. I really like the build and looks of the Grand Slam but I don't know if steaks can be done on it efficiently.

Budget is under $2k shipped to me in Wisconsin. Thanks guys and keep it coming.

My blaz’n actually seared better than the other 3 pellet grills I’ve owned. Rectec680, Memphis advantage and now a pitts and spitts 1250.

Cookshack PG1000 is insulated. Outside temp doesn't matter, same pellet usage. But not sure if it's out of your price range.

PG1000 is too much $$ now. I still have a hard time believing that the lh side of the larger bottom grate isn't way hotter than the rh side. I haven't seen one in person much less used one. I love the idea of being able to sear over the fire pot but it just seems to good to be true.

PG1000 is too much $$ now. I still have a hard time believing that the lh side of the larger bottom grate isn't way hotter than the rh side. I haven't seen one in person much less used one. I love the idea of being able to sear over the fire pot but it just seems to good to be true.

I owned a pg500, and really enjoyed. The indirect side was fairly even side to side actually. The way that the exhaust is set up makes it an entirely different animal that most pellet cooker setups. It is essentially set up like a reverse flow cabinet as far as the exhaust is concerned, and it makes a big difference temperature wise.

The grill portion is an absolute beast, but very small. As long as you aren't cooking a ton it will be fine. Searing over the raging fire then finishing on the indirect side is very convenient.

As long as you are cooking moderate amounts of food, the Pg500 will meet all your needs. It is a truly great cooker. Don't sleep on the stainless steel aspect as well. This thing can take a bearing, and be shined back to new with just a few squirts of some heavy duty cleaner.

I've had probably 15 different smokers, and the painted ones always go to hell at some point. Stainless will last much much longer, and is worth the cost in my opinion.

My blaz’n actually seared better than the other 3 pellet grills I’ve owned. Rectec680, Memphis advantage and now a pitts and spitts 1250.

This is great to know. I keep going back to the grand slam. Its like $1600 shipped with insulation baffle in lid. Yoder is a little more but I really don't want a blanket on top.....again.

Back