THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Roaster

Knows what a fatty is.
Doing a whole hog this weekend. Just wondering what other people rub the hog with. I have used some homemade rub and olive oil. I cook the pig butterfly the whole cook. Have tried flipping but falls apart when trying.

You could just use S&P.

Any good commercial rub would suffice. Oakridge, Simply Marvelous, BPS, 3 Eyez and on and on.

I wouldn't worry about flipping. Make sure you foil the snout and ears so they don't get too dark.

drooling as I type!

What was your total cook time? I am trying a 35lber 2nd of July. Gonna give it 4 hours heavy smoke in my 20x40 tejas smoker. Then foil it until 190* in the hams. what do you folks think about how I want to cook and more importantly how much time to take?

The pig was 100 pounds. I was figuring on 10 pounds in a hour. Cooking temp was around 250.
I cooked the pick for 13 hours. The shoulders were at 195 and the hams at 180. I had to pull the pig as everyone was waiting to eat. I usually like to have the pick rest for a hour. I have to do another on July 3. This time I am going to add two more hours for cooking time. I have never foiled anything except ears and tail. Keep me informed how things go.

When I did mine I rubbed with plowboys yardbird and injected with creole butter. I also butterflied but had skin side down. main reason I knew I couldn't flip it. turned out wonderful. skin was perfect golden brown and meat was very juicy.

Smokin ribs

How big and what was the weight? I have to do one next weekend. I want to try other methods but don't want to try on some bodys elses pig. I am thinking of getting a hog to try a different way

Back