Cooking steak under a chimney starter

Interesting way to cook a steak. Don't bump the starter, unless you want some ash on your steak

I've been using this method (from Alton Brown's show) for a while though I find myself preferring using my BGE these days. I even "age" my steaks for three days in my fridge similar Alton Brown's suggestion. I have a Weber Charcoal Chimney Starter and it is barely big enough for a typical porterhouse. I use my fireplace gloves to help coax the steak to fit if needed. I've made a lot of steaks this way and the only issue I've had was once not adding enough lump charcoal. This is a great way to make a single steak.

Very interesting! I thought I had watched every Alton episode, but it appears I missed that one.

Going to look for it and check up on the method.

Thanks for sharing and BTW, steak looks wonderful!!

wallace

Thanks. It's a fun way to make a single steak. If u have a charcoal basket from your smoker, u could prob use that over your steaks to make more than 1 or 2 at a time!

Very interesting! I thought I had watched every Alton episode, but it appears I missed that one.

Going to look for it and check up on the method.

Thanks for sharing and BTW, steak looks wonderful!!

wallace

Here is the short version.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t4aI_O8kcN8"]Porterhouse Perfection-Food Network - YouTube[/ame]

If you have the time, I recommend watching the full length version. (More detail and more entertaining.):grin:

Back