THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rockman772

MemberGot rid of the matchlight.
Hey, I am a pretty good BBQ cook, but mostly cook for my church, and at small get-togethers. I am going to do a catering for 60 people in a couple weeks. They want pulled pork butts, smoked chicken, Mac&Cheese, and Baked beans. I saw on here to use about 30 lbs of pork butt. And I was going to cook 15 whole chickens, which would equal 60 pcs. As far as the sides, I was going to use the disposable foil steam pans, full size. How many people will one pan full of beans or Mac/Cheese feed? Thanks in advance for any help.

If it is full service:
30 per pan of mac-n-cheese
30 to 35 per pan of beans

Self-serve
25 per pan of mac-n-cheese
30-35 per pan of beans

Remember that is it always wise to have something to support those pans as you carry them.

Welcome to The Brethren Rockman772. A few more details would help. You said 60 people. Women and children or football players. It makes a difference in serving size and total cooked yield that you want. If you are making pulled pork sammies, you can go 1/4 lb per sandwich x 60 sandwiches=15 lbs of cooked pork=30 lbs of uncooked pork. Add 10% (my wiggle room) and you're looking at 33 lbs of uncooked pork. For the chicken, I would buy a 40 lb box of thighs. You really don't want to cut up that many whole chickens. Mac and cheese can be an expensive side. Beans are good. I agree with Landarc. If it is self serve, you are probably going to need 2 1/2 pans of each. You'll be better off having someone serve it. Portion control is your best friend. Hope this helps. Good luck.

I'm doing a wedding this weekend and cooking for 100 ( should be around 80 people) I plan on doing 2 pans of beans and slaw and 3 pans of Mac n cheese. We are doing PP, Pulled chicken thighs, and sausages also. Oh and corn on cob. So you should be good with doing 2 pans. They hold a lot more than one thinks. I'm planning on setting up the line as follows:

slaw
Beans
Corn
Mac
Rolls
Chicken
PP
Sausages

Keep us posted. Ps what you cooking on?

I have a big 300 gallon pull behind smoker. LP tank sideways, two doors on the main side, two gas cookers on the other side, Firebox down low on back with a warmer/over built on top of the firebox. It is a lean, mean smokin machine! I just cooked 20 slabs of baby back ribs last weekend for a "Walk to Emmaus" Christian retreat weekend. I dry rubbed them with my own "Blue Creek Madness Rub" the night before.....smoked them for 4 hours. One of my main secrets is when I take them off the grill, I stack them in a ice chest/cooler, one on top of the other, and shut the lid and dare anyone to open it. I leave them in the cooler for at least an hour, and up to 2 hours. This steams the ribs and makes them extra tender. I had so many people come tell me they were the best ribs they had ever eaten. I like it when a plan comes together!

I let them serve themselves and a full foil pan feeds 40 people on average for me. With a full pan of beans 2- 10# cans doctored up feeds 60 plus on average. Half pans I figure as 25 servings.

Back