THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

jmellor

is one Smokin' Farker
Brethren- planning out what's next on my bbq journey. Interested in your input. I love my backwoods party and feel it handles the insulated vertical smoker needs just fine. Not interested in replacing it. But I would really like something that can cook a bit hotter and could fit a 100 to 130 lb pig.

I've been looking at the meadow creek pr60 pig roasters and love the versatility. But also wonder if I will regret not getting an offset....

So, if I am looking at offsets that can fit a pig is there a preference between traditional and reverse flow? What is is the minimum rack size I would need for a whole hog between 100-130lbs?

I live in southern NH and have limited local build options. But stuff does show up on CL I have seen. And willing to ship something but not realky looking to spend more than 2500 which rules out a lot. But I can be patient if I know what to look for.

Appreciate any guidance.

My self-built RF is based on a 24X72 inch, 150 gallon propane tank; the main grate measures ot at about 24X54 inches. I've done quite a few "racer" stylr, the largest was about 135# and that was about the limit for my sized cooker but 100#-120# fit great. If you prefer to butterfly the hog you prbably need to think about a 30 inch or larger diameter pit. I'll add a couple links (on edit) to cooks so you can see how mine works.

The 135# cook
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=209052

Another, about 112#
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showpost.php?p=2863495&postcount=40

Thanks Dave
Awesome post's. You have RF. But anyone have reasoning between RF and traditional? Does it matter?

Back