THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Thanks for all opinions, that is why I posted the question. There are some very thoughtful responses here. Keep them coming if you have any further ones.

I am not concerned about the money so much as I am mad about the deliberate act, and the fact that this individual cheated some other teams out of recognition and money. We worked tirelessly for months to put on a first class event and did everything we could to cater to the teams, including paying out in cash instead of checks.

In the end, we will have to now revise our proceedures to protect ourselves. No entries will be accepted within two weeks of the event unless they are paid with cash or cashiers checks. That will cost us teams, but I cannot think of any other way.

Might I make a suggestion. I know many teams wait until the last minute to enter and some of those are out of town or what not so they would probably prefer to pay by check. My suggestion is to take online entries. I am not sure how hard or easy it would be but if you have it set up to take Paypal or credit card or something as well as check(by a deadline) then you could still get the last minute entries.

Up here in PNWBA land, most entries are done on-line with Paypal. I love this method because it is so easy, as far as problems with Paypal, I have used them for my own business for years, thousands of transactions a year and if I every have a problem with an account Paypal has been VERY quick to resolve the issues. You can get a person on the phone in less then a minute with a business account.

Thank you to everyone for your input. I am taking the matter to the Chamber BOD to see how they want to proceed, but I am pretty sure they will turn the bounced check over to the Prosecuting Attorney, who happens to be the dad of my co-chairman. I am expecting this particular "bad check" to receive direct and full attention from the PA!!!

I am not an organizer, have no interest in being one, and do not know everything an organizer goes through for an event other than i am certain that it is a ton of work...this seems like a simple fix, it would only cost teams a couple dollars more if you said payment is only excepted via money order or cashiers check....another GREAT option that our team used once for a comp. this season was the web site set up for organizers and their events that allows the team to pay via pay pal or credit card....i don't understand why all events would not do their registration in this manner it is so simple and instantaneous as far as the payment goes the teams also get to see that their payment went through and know for sure they are entered into the event instead of waiting and wondering if the rep received your check. I know this would cost a couple dollars more for the teams but would give the team instant piece of mind that they are good to go as far as payment and entry into said event ....like i said i am dumb when it comes to organizing an event but this online payment option was the greatest thing invented since aluminum foil, IMO

As a Police Officer, I know that in my Commonwealth, knowingly passing a bad check is a felony. I would not only report it to local authorities, I would out his a$$ too. Sorry, felons don't get common courtesy. Take it as far as you need to. And no, you don't need AJ attorney, he does, your county should ultimately prosecute this on your behalf.

As a Police Officer, I know that in my Commonwealth, knowingly passing a bad check is a felony. I would not only report it to local authorities, I would out his a$$ too. Sorry, felons don't get common courtesy. Take it as far as you need to. And no, you don't need AJ attorney, he does, your county should ultimately prosecute this on your behalf.

^^^^^^^^ X2 ^^^^^^^

This wasn't a case of a simple mistake. If the account was closed they meant to screw you. I would take it personal and do what it took to get my money AND the prize money back. After I got my money back I would turn it over to the prosecutor as they meant to deceive you.

In Photography - having been burned only once; I only take cash, credit card, paypal. I do not do checks. I'd contact law enforcement, get them involved and also drop a note to the kids dad and tell him what's up. Even if the dad tries to make good there will already be a case against his son.

Okay -- this was not a KCBS event, so KCBS wouldn't be involved in this matter! Definitely let the folks at IBCA know though.

Sad for contests in my local area (and I do consider Sheridan as part of my stomping ground). Even sadder is going to the results I know who the perp is and shame on him for not making his check good with the cash won.

Thanks for all opinions, that is why I posted the question. There are some very thoughtful responses here. Keep them coming if you have any further ones.

I am not concerned about the money so much as I am mad about the deliberate act, and the fact that this individual cheated some other teams out of recognition and money. We worked tirelessly for months to put on a first class event and did everything we could to cater to the teams, including paying out in cash instead of checks.

In the end, we will have to now revise our proceedures to protect ourselves. No entries will be accepted within two weeks of the event unless they are paid with cash or cashiers checks. That will cost us teams, but I cannot think of any other way.

I was talking to an organizer recently that had something similar happen although the team was also a vendor that was paid a lot of money vending. The organizer tried multiple times to contact the individual with no success, so he sent a certified letter explaining that he would be taking the individual to court. In this case it was enough for the person to pay. Good luck!

1st off, have you attempted to resubmit the check? The teller may have mis-keyed in the number. If you have BURN them if the account is actually closed.

2nd since they didnt pay an entry fee they arent intitled to any winnings, correct? sounds like a case of theft by deception and you SHOULD press charges and persue them to the fullest.

3rd ( maybe legal maybe not) I would (if legal) out them so it would be harder for them to do it to an other event.

I really see no shame in publicly stating the name of the team and the head cook, they illegally wrote you a bad check with the intention of stealing from you. If he did this at your event, he will do it at another event as well. Forget this business about the father, the fact of the matter is this guy signed up under this team name.

Are we after revenge or the money?
Turn the check over to the authorities and continue to promote your contest for the great event that it is. TRY not to let the actions of one individual dictate the rule/regulations of your contest.

The problem with "just turning toward the positivie" is that it does not protect our community of cookers. Scammers like this rely on the good nature of BBQers and organizers to give everyone the benefit of the doubt, move past difficulty etc. so they can then go on and scam somebody else because it was kept quiet to make nice.

Everyone should know when we have a snake in our midst.

As a guy who finished on the bubble in this comp. I'd just like to see them DQ'd and bump everyone up. As a young BBQ team we care more about place than $..... But as for your end, HANG EM UP HIGH AND LET EM SWING TILL THE SUN GOES DOWN!!!! Ok maybe that's a little over the top....:shocked:

If he did this at a convenience store and got caught, his picture would be by the counter on a sign that says "Do not accept checks from this person." for all the world to see. IMHO we don't make examples of tools like this nearly enough.

You are all making some serious assumptions and in a highly litigious society, "outing somebody" without facts can come back at you fairly quickly. Even if the person has a record or previous transactions, making public accusations may not be the best approach (while it can be fun it's not always smart). A closed account is not a slam dunk to obtain a conviction for fraud, you need to prove intent.

1) send a letter to the person who paid the cheque with a copy to the owner of the team advising the NSF cheque and you would like prompt settlement of the debenture or you will take further action if it is not paid in 30 days.

2) send a second letter, by registered mail advising that the past due bill was not received and that you are proceeding to collections avenues in 15 days along with a referral to the appropriate authorities. Furthermore as a non paid competitor they were not entitled to the prize award and you now want the cash award returned.

3) hire a solicitor or collection company, many work for a % and will do the same 1-2 letters but on their letterhead. Consider providing the information to your local police if your think there was malice or intent to fraud.

4) Follow through with small claims court, (this is not real cost effective either)

5) Do not accept the team back next year, adopt changes in your process for next year so that this is not a systemic issue.

Being a organizer has its really sucky days and not all teams are nice people. Just as some events are not all team friendly and are more concerned with making a profit...

Nonetheless, good luck and don't sweat it

I too would warn you not to ‘Out’ either this person or the team name. While I have little doubt that it happened as you say, this is not a court of law and this person has not been found guilty. With the current status as I understand it, if you ‘Out’ them, there is a very good chance that they would have the evidence to take you to court.

I would attempt to resubmit the check. If it comes back as a closed account again, I would do submit the problem to the police. It is what we all are paying our taxes for. If you feel so inclined, you could also write to the father as a heads up.

This kind of thing needs to be stopped, but stopped in the right way, using the correct resources. It is not your job to try and collect on a closed account. It is fraud. Fraud is against the law. Let the law handle it.

(As a side note, I am not an attorney, have never played one on TV, and have not stayed in a Holiday Inn Express for a long time.)

Back