THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

gtr

somebody shut me the fark up.

Batch Image
I ate my Phirst picanha at the Dutch Phorum bash last week. Phubar cooked it and it was Pharking amazing. I had to check this out so I hit a carniceria near my house today and grabbed one.

I hit it with salt & pepper.

photo-2044.jpg

Cooked it for a while along with a chix I hit with Lawry's and Head Country rub - great combo!

photo-342.jpg

The picanha got to about 120 so I seared it.

photo-531.jpg

Looking good.

photo-1953.jpg

Sliced it up.

photo-214.jpg

It was very good, but I may actually take it up a few more degrees next time - I ended up around 130 before the rest (10 minutes). This may not be a cut to cut like a ribeye, rib roast, etc. IPh I'm not mistaken, Phu's was cooked more and it was better. I think the meat last week was higher quality as well - better marbling, etc.
Also Phu is a sorcerer.
wizard-smiley.gif
Seriously = the stuPh last week was incredible. When we were eating it sounded like an orgy with all the moaning and whatnot.

Here's a shot of Phubar's.

photo-1687.jpg

Anyway, I'll be checking this out more in the future for sure. This was very good, but I'd love to hear from anybody with insights on cooking picanha

Thanks for looking!

I like picanha, I think it's a great cut of meat. I normally shoot for a finish of around 135F. I pretty much treat it like Tri-tip

• Thanks
Reactions: gtr
You Phound it!:whoo:
I'm proud of you Bro!
Maybe your cut can use a couple of degrees more (not much more) like Landarc said.
Looking Phorward to your next picanha cook!

• Thanks
That looks phantastic Greg!! I've not looked for picanha here but will do so in the near future. Thanks for the post!
btw Your chix looks mighty tasty too!!

• Thanks
You Phound it!:whoo:
I'm proud of you Bro!
Maybe your cut can use a couple of degrees more (not much more) like Landarc said.
Looking Phorward to your next picanha cook!

There's a Brazilian Market near my house and yeah, I'm gonna go up around 5 more degrees next time. Next picanha cook is gonna be soon!

That looks phantastic Greg!! I've not looked for picanha here but will do so in the near future. Thanks for the post!
btw Your chix looks mighty tasty too!!

Thanks Jeanie! If you have a hard time finding one near you, Smoothsmoke put up a tutorial on where to cut one out here. The chix was very tasty - guess where I got the HC rub from? :becky:

Thanks y'all!

Great job, sorry I missed you guys last week!

Yeah man! Sorry you couldn't make it - we're just gonna have to try again!

Used to cook it all the time before we knew it was a great cut. It was my mom's favorite growing up. It also is a very forgiving cut. You can give it quite a bit more heat than others and it will still come out "medium rare".

It does seem that this one can take a higher finish temp than the beef roasts/steaks I normally cook.

Great looking cook. Is picanha called anything else? Every place I've asked about it, they look at me like I'm crazy.

Matt

There's a discussion of other names in this thread. People will tell you it's basically a tri-tip or a variation but that is apparently not the case. I'm not too slick on butchering, primals, etc. but this is cut from a top sirloin. Check out the referenced thread - great info there!

Thanks everyone!

It is sometimes called a Coulotte, however, that name is also often misused in the States. Look for USDA NAMP 184D Loin, Top Sirloin, Cap Biceps femoris, this will get you what we officially refer to as the Sirloin Cap, same as Rump Cap or Picanha.

If you order, you can get them peeled or not, I prefer not peeled, as the fat cap is a good buffer for the heat if you are cooking direct.

There's a Brazilian Market near my house and yeah, I'm gonna go up around 5 more degrees next time. Next picanha cook is gonna be soon!

Thanks Jeanie! If you have a hard time finding one near you, Smoothsmoke put up a tutorial on where to cut one out here. The chix was very tasty - guess where I got the HC rub from? :becky:

Thanks y'all!

Thanks for the info Greg. :cool:
Let me know if you need more HC, I'd be happy to send ya some. :thumb:

• Thanks
Back