THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

bbqgeekess

Babbling Farker
.. refrigerate overnight and finish cooking the next day?

Or, cook all the way and pull then refrigerate overnight and microwave the pulled pork?

BBQ is at 2PM and I don't want to get up at 5AM to start the pork butt -- normally it'd be okay but my sleep schedule has been off and won't allow that.

We'll BBQ some chicken the same day.. but the pork butt has just gotta be done the day before (or mostly done the day before).

Never cooked a pork butt most of the way and finished the next day but I believe I've heard people do that hear before? Can't recall for sure. How well does that work out? I'd finish off in the oven the next day under foil.

I do it all the time.
When I fire up the cooker I'll cook at least 4 butts, pull 3 @ 165 foil & refrigerate.
If eating the next day finish in oven , crockpot or gas grill @ 325 till 195
Often vacuum seal & freeze to heat later

I had this issue a couple weeks ago. I cooked two butts the day before and then let them rest a couple hours. I pulled them, then put it in a disposable roaster pan, foiled it and refrigerated. The next day, I poured apple juice in the pan, and dusted the meat with a little more rub. Let it set in the oven at 170 in the sealed pan for about 3 hours before serving. It turned out perfect.

Cooking all the way and pulling is the way to go. Reheat in the oven or crockpot. Pork will still be great and you can relax, or cook something else. For big events I cook butts ahead of time and cook chicken or ribs the day of, that way you still get to show off your grill prowess.

I think cooking all the way will probably give a better end result. You can reheat in the crockpot or if you vac seal the butt whole, you could drop the bag in some boiling water to reheat.

Back