THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

You want salt, it makes the flavors pop. I don't know about the whole butcher paper thing. Aluminum foil with some liquid in the bottom will do you just fine.

Good luck.

What he said. ^^^

And like others have said......don't overthink it.

Add salt, screw the butcher paper, double wrap in HD Aluminum Foil and add moisture. Beef Broth works fine.

I realize flavor profiles can be all over the place for comp. BBQ but I would caution on using too much beef broth. There's a fine line between brisket and pot roast. Use too much and it over powers the natural smoke flavor of brisket. The first couple of briskets I ever made I followed directions calling for beef broth. While I enjoyed the results it wasn't until I didn't use it that I appreciated the natural smoke flavor of brisket. If you are worried about moisture, use choice or better briskets, it makes a big difference so long as you don't over cook them.

I realize flavor profiles can be all over the place for comp. BBQ but I would caution on using too much beef broth. There's a fine line between brisket and pot roast. Use too much and it over powers the natural smoke flavor of brisket. The first couple of briskets I ever made I followed directions calling for beef broth. While I enjoyed the results it wasn't until I didn't use it that I appreciated the natural smoke flavor of brisket. If you are worried about moisture, use choice or better briskets, it makes a big difference so long as you don't over cook them.

About how much do you add? Also do you do straight broth or something like the earlier posted rick's sinful marinade?

I don't inject, but I do spice up some beef broth with the same rub I use for the bark and add it to the foil when I wrap it. I've had my brisket take walks, but never paid, so take that for whatever it's worth.

About how much do you add? Also do you do straight broth or something like the earlier posted rick's sinful marinade?

Haven't tried injecting brisket w/anything... yet. I remember using about half of a reg. sized can. Even at that amount it changes the brisket flavor a bit. I suppose it's ok if got a really dry brisket and no drippings to pour over it.

So you don't add any liquids when you wrap? have you tried it both ways and prefer no liquid?

I have done both ways and have gotten calls both ways. Personally I prefer to not add liquids. If you wrap, you end up with enough juice anyways. At least I think so. If you are cooking a whole packer and want to add liquid, add about 1 cup when you wrap.

for what it's worth, I would spend more time focusing on a properly cooked brisket before worrying so much about the flavor profile. Once you get that nailed, then you can toy with different rubs. There are a lot of really good commerical rubs that don't need any modifications to score well with. I would suggest injecting for comps, just to get that extra "boost" of flavor, but that's just MHO. I've had some decent results with my comp brisket and I inject and use a commerical rub along with a commercial sauce. Remember that most competition food is not the same as what you would eat at home.

Back