Common Barbecue Myths

If you're lookin', you ain't cookin'. How many of you have heard that every time you open your pit (to turn meat, mop, spray, etc.) you need to add 15 minutes to your cooking time. Well.... when you open your cooker the grate temp will always drop, but your meat temp won't. When you close your cooker, the recovery time for the grate temp is somewhat short.

A shorter saying "Lookin' ain't cookin'" was created by Weber in the 60's to promote the fact their grills had a lid and dampers setting them apart from the competition.

"Briskets take 16+ hours!" OK, I used to believe and do this but, I now use Bludawg's brisket method and it only takes about six hours and is fantastic! Sleep all night and start everything up at 8am for an amazing brisket dinner Im actually awake to enjoy = yes!!!!

Great. Now Im hungry for brisket....

Bless your heart....

BBQ Myth: Northerners (like me) can't cook good barbeque.

Proof: I cooked pulled pork for my son's wedding. Southerners (South Carolina folks) ate it, loved it, and told me it was fantastic.

:mrgreen:

Sorry...but it is true.

As Southerners....they were just being polite. Usually this is followed with saying "Bless his heart..." as they walked away from you.

;)

Just joking....

C

Bludawg Method for Brisket?

"Briskets take 16+ hours!" OK, I used to believe and do this but, I now use Bludawg's brisket method and it only takes about six hours and is fantastic! Sleep all night and start everything up at 8am for an amazing brisket dinner Im actually awake to enjoy = yes!!!!

Great. Now Im hungry for brisket....

I'm waiting for my offset to come in next month....

I'm new back to the game....and the "Bludawg's Brisket" method is new to me.

Is there a link for this you could post here for me to read?

Thank you in advance,

cayenne

Heard this several times: All wood chunks and chips will result in the same taste when the cook is done. You cannot tell the difference between apple, peach, mesquite, etc.

Heard this several times: All wood chunks and chips will result in the same taste when the cook is done. You cannot tell the difference between apple, peach, mesquite, etc.

I think that most people can tell if the flavor wood used is alder, a fruit wood, a nut wood, and mesquite. Now, telling the difference between apple or cherry or peach is a lot harder.

It's easier when using a stick burner (or adding wood to a bed of coals) because for example, if I have a lump charcoal fire with cherry chunks added, I'm smelling the lump and the flavor wood.

I think that most people can tell if the flavor wood used is alder, a fruit wood, a nut wood, and mesquite. Now, telling the difference between apple or cherry or peach is a lot harder.

It's easier when using a stick burner (or adding wood to a bed of coals) because for example, if I have a lump charcoal fire with cherry chunks added, I'm smelling the lump and the flavor wood.

Maybe I'm speaking from being out in the smoke cooking and absorbing the smoke. I think its more of a nose thing that goes along with taste. You smell what you bite and taste, and the two are inseparable.

I can taste the difference.

BBQ Myth: Cooking a chicken on a beer can steams and flavors the bird from the inside. Well actually, you're supposed to drink 1/2 of the beer before putting the chicken on it. Then add some garlic, hot sauce, Mountain Dew, or whatever you feel like to the can.

The problems with this technique are:

1. The cold chicken acts as an insulator to the beer. It would be better to add very hot liquid to the can, and maybe only about 1" deep.

2. The beer can restricts the flow of heat through the cavity. It's better to buy a beer-butt can holder, and don't use the can.

3. The beer never really has time to produce steam before the chicken is done. At my house, water boils at 203°, and another 10° higher at sea level.

Do I ever make beer can chicken? Yes, with the stand and not the can. And it's mostly for showing off. And, I use a couple of 'frozen enhancements' to keep the breast meat moist whilst cooking. :biggrin1:

wOWHC.jpg

Hey, I know that chick! I saw her a LONG time ago somewhere else. Glad to see she's still around, Wayne!

I remember the rage about beer butt chicken years ago and all the provers and disprovers about how the beer butt technique added more moisture to the inside of the bird. I never could tell the difference, but I did like one thing about the technique. I was able to get one more whole chicken on the cooker. I still use the beer butt turkey trick using a 24 oz Fosters Lager can. I never did use beer in the can, I used water instead. I did not want to abuse alcohol that way, I used the beer to baste the cook...........

Here is another Myth for you all. Adding flavored liquid in a water pan of a smoker will impart the flavor of the liquid onto the surface of the meat.

I have tried this using beer, wine, and apple juice (separately) in my WSM water pan and used no wood for smoke flavoring so I could taste the flavor of what ever liquid I used. I never could distinguish the taste of liquid on the meat's surface. Can anyone disprove my observation?

Back