(CLOSED, SEE NEW THREAD) BBQ Brethren Masters - Cut #2 - Spareribs

Status
Not open for further replies.
Clearly something is not working. I figure it is one of these:

1. Bad idea, stop doing it.
2. One week is too short of a time to enter.
3. Too much conflict with the regular Throwdowns.
4. It is a plot by the super secret left wing cabal in order to promote veganism.

I'm pretty sure it's option 4, but in case I am wrong about that I am going to go through a process of elimination to see what it is, which will either help make this work, or make me decide to just stick with the regular Throwdowns.

Well....this isn't technically a Throwdown. It's an entirely different thing. Maybe not like another league, but maybe another division, or perhaps just a friendly neighbor who occasionally shares things.

It was timing for me. I really enjoy participating in the different TD. Because I'm still trying to nail this basics, I typically only participate when they line up with something I was going to smoke that weekend or would like to. This one would have been perfect, but I was out of town all last week, and was just too tired to do much this past weekend. I was also a little BBQ'd out, having been in Austin all week.

I think if you were to do Spares three weeks in a row, you might get one entry one week and ten the next. Just random.

I hope you can find the right formula, because I do like this idea. I see myself participating more in these than a Neuve Cuisine TD (at least in the near future). :wink:

If it does turn out to be problem 4, that could lead to a new TD idea that could solve the problem. What's it called, "the most dangerous game" or something like that? Or a Donner party theme. They gotta be vegans, that's for sure. :heh:

Seriously though I like the idea of the master cuts TD's & I'm hoping to find more time in my life to participate in these things and just putting up pron in general. When there's a hungry wife & kids sitting at the table whipping out a camera does not seem to be the most prudent move sometimes - but it's just a matter of making it work somehow.

Thanks ---Ryan---, I need to stop being so lazy with the white balance, to be honest, I learned photography with film, so all those fussy camera settings are somewhat invisible to me. I want to bounce the flash, but, I don't have the gear anymore.

the meat is too white, oddly the rest of the colors are spot on, so I am not sure what is going on, I will mess with white balance though.

Chris, it is the time frame, I think two weeks would be better. It would give folks at least a little time to plan before the weekend they would need to cook. Although it could be #4, I doubt it, as it was not in my copy of The Radical Vegan Cabal newsletter that this was happening.

Chris, I agree with Bob about the time thing, a couple of weeks would present more opportunity to participate. I like the idea of this one and would hate to see it slide.

And Bob, those are killer ribs, period.

Back at you Bluetang, the way I see it, one of us is gonna win this thing. :-D

Clearly something is not working. I figure it is one of these:

1. Bad idea, stop doing it.
2. One week is too short of a time to enter.
3. Too much conflict with the regular Throwdowns.
4. It is a plot by the super secret left wing cabal in order to promote veganism.

I'm pretty sure it's option 4, but in case I am wrong about that I am going to go through a process of elimination to see what it is, which will either help make this work, or make me decide to just stick with the regular Throwdowns.

I haven't heard anyone say this isn't a great idea. I personally like the back-to-the-basics nature. It is quite a commitment to prepare for two throwdowns per week though, and if something is going to give, it is here ... but then again, there weren't many entries in the Latin TD either. :confused:

Well....this isn't technically a Throwdown. It's an entirely different thing. Maybe not like another league, but maybe another division, or perhaps just a friendly neighbor who occasionally shares things.

Phew, streak still in tact! ... and if any of my friendly neighbors want to borrow a squirrel, I won't mind at all if it isn't returned. :becky:

I was more worried about Marty and his new learned knowledge. You Pleasanton dudes have been rocking it lately.

I have decided I am just not a throwdown guy. I love to eat and cooking really helps in that department! I cook what I want, when I want and I just am not good about making it pretty and having the camera around all the time. Maybe I will get better as I get more experience.

I have decided I am just not a throwdown guy. I love to eat and cooking really helps in that department! I cook what I want, when I want and I just am not good about making it pretty and having the camera around all the time. Maybe I will get better as I get more experience.

I would completely disagree about the making it pretty part. Your ribs are some of the prettiest I've ever seen. As far as getting better and getting experience goes, I will say that participating in these as often as possible has done more to improve my cooking than anything else. Thanks once again, Chris!

I think a redo will be in order. Since Bob cooked his legit, I will even allow them to be included. Although, if he so desires, he can make more ribs. There's certainly nothing wrong with that.

I don't want this to start at the same time as the regular Throwdowns though, so look for this category to get reposted all anew next week.

I would completely disagree about the making it pretty part. Your ribs are some of the prettiest I've ever seen. As far as getting better and getting experience goes, I will say that participating in these as often as possible has done more to improve my cooking than anything else. Thanks once again, Chris!

Ditto this!

Oh come on now Marty!
I think I'm with you in, "I cook what I want, when I want and I just am not good about making it pretty and having the camera around all the time." But there is something fun about participating and all the smack talk comradely. I will continue to enter when the TD's align with my schedule and desires. I will continue to enter half hearted plated entries, with medium camera skills. I will enjoy finishing in the lower half and celebrate if I ever place in the upper half.

Marty, those baby backs, had they been spares would have won this going away, dude, those things were incredible. I do not participate in Throw Downs to win (gawd knows I would have quit a long time ago) I do it for the challenge of cooking something and seeing what I can do to push the edge. It is the same reason I cook the On Our Grills Four Ingredient Challenges, takes me out of my comfort zone and makes me think. I have turned in some real questionable stuff here, not as bad as Guerry :becky:, but, still some odd stuff.

Hay, now wait just a durn minute. The burnt farked up gooey mess and spam clads tasted purty gall danged good. :boxing:

I think a redo will be in order. Since Bob cooked his legit, I will even allow them to be included. Although, if he so desires, he can make more ribs. There's certainly nothing wrong with that.

I don't want this to start at the same time as the regular Throwdowns though, so look for this category to get reposted all anew next week.

I'd agree, and I think Bob certainly set a high bar. I was thinking if I got a package of 3 racks of baby backs, but only needed two, the third would be a spare. :becky: Any other changes in mind to increase attendance?

I am gonna cook some more ribs, and then I am gonna fix em up into some kinda starfish thingy mess and post it.

Oooooo, starfish ribs! That'll be unique. Will there be tofu involved?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back