THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

motoeric

Babbling Farker
Hi,

Does anyone have any general guidelines or tips that they would like to share?

I decided that today was a great day to do some maintenance and here are my problems:

Slight rust on grates
Mold in base of one kettle
Water in base of WSM

I'm thinking (for the kettles) that bleach and water and then a power washing. Not sure about the rust.

Eric

Man, the worst thing you can do it let moisture collect in a Kettle or a WSM, I had a neighbor that never cleaned out the ash and the bottom farking rusted out! I empty and hose mine out after every cook. You don't want to wash away too much of the "cooked" on goodness. A little olive oil on the rust and fire it up and smoke out all the moisture

For Mold I'd use Vinegar - spray/splash some in, let it sit, then scrub out and re-do.

For the grates, scrub with IPA (rubbing alcohol) and scotchbrite then season (oil) immediately and apply oil at least every couple cooks

For the WSM I can't help because I don't have one.

EDIT: For heavy rust scrub with IPA, for light rust just use a rough cloth or light scotchbrite and oil

For mold I just sprayed out the kettle really well with a sweep nozzle then started a hot fire in the bottom of the kettle. Then I sprayed some salad oil and let it burn on. I would just wire brush the grate and reseason.

Back