Cinder block pig roaster question

walley_eye

I’m in the process of building an in-ground pig roaster/fire pit with cinderblocks.

The first two layers of cinder blocks and toppers will be in the ground flush with the yard at the top.

My question is i will dig two holes on one long side to feed coals with air, do you all think this will work to feed enough air?

I was recently checking out lots of videos on block cookers...offset, direct fire, and pig cookers. I don't think I saw any that were partially buried. Of course, they weren't pulling double duty as a fire pit either. You have to get air to the coals somehow... plus you'd need access to the ends (shoulders /hind quarters of the pig too. if you just went up one block above grade (even 2), that's gonna be a back killer- not a good working height at all.

Looking forward to what others have to say - I just read a lot- other folk here*know* a lot.

good luck

Rodney Scott has a whole chapter in his Cookbook about cooking a whole hog on a Cinder Block Pit and he provides all the details down to the number of blocks needed and lengths of rebar, etc. needed. He’s cooked 1,000s more Whole Hogs than anyone on this forum will ever do so I think I would pay attention to his advice on the subject.

I can vouch for his skills with Whole Hog Q as I ate at his Charleston, SC Restaurant a couple of weeks ago and it was some of the best BBQ Pork I’ve ever eaten. I got a quick tour of the pits and the Manager told me they do 4-6 Hogs a day. The Spareribs were not to be missed either and I met the cook who did the Spareribs that day as he was loading a pit with another round. Great Folks for sure.

Rodney Scott has a whole chapter in his Cookbook about cooking a whole hog on a Cinder Block Pit and he provides all the details down to the number of blocks needed and lengths of rebar, etc. needed. He’s cooked 1,000s more Whole Hogs than anyone on this forum will ever do so I think I would pay attention to his advice on the subject.

I'm not running to a store t buy a book I will never personally use. Sure would be nice if you would share his advise on the subject, since he's all knowing and all.

I'm not running to a store t buy a book I will never personally use. Sure would be nice if you would share his advise on the subject, since he's all knowing and all.

well here's a free resource from a Beloved Brethren

https://cowgirlscountry.blogspot.com/2007/03/cooking-whole-hog-on-cinder-block-pit_19.html?m=1

Here's how I do it. 42 blocks and a 4' x 3' grate.

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

Thanks for linking the sleebus jones build(s), sir. My interest is piqued (again) to build some version of a block cooker... I just hope I can keep the interest long enough for the East Texas summer to stop kicking my butt.

SirPorkaLot AKA John built one last fall for a bash. Try a PM to him. He left the site but may give you some ideas

I'm not running to a store t buy a book I will never personally use. Sure would be nice if you would share his advise on the subject, since he's all knowing and all.[/QUOTE]

It was about 40 pages in the Book. I'm not inclined to violate Copyright laws to satisfy your request. Perhaps your local library has a copy.

No real need to buy diddly- unless you just want to. I agree Rodney Scott knows his stuff - but I'm not running out to buy his- or Franklin's-books if there is other teaching matter to be had.

Tons of YouTube videos and articles to be had for nada.

Crack a cold one, kick back and take notes. (disclaimer- dude, they are blocks- there are only so many ways to stack them to achieve a particular effect. But I often find the building (and cooking) banter worth the price of admission)

I'm pretty sure I would not want a pig cooker / fire pit combo. One or the other or both but not the same structure. I guess if you only did a pig ever so often, the clean-up would not be a huge pain.

Burying part of it seems to be "different" - but that is no bad thing- sometimes difference is brilliance. Could be greatness- one way to find out, right?
Post up pics of your build and cooks- looking forward to seeing them.

It was about 40 pages in the Book. I'm not inclined to violate Copyright laws to satisfy your request. Perhaps your local library has a copy.[/QUOTE]

Maybe this is a good time for some internet clarification. Sooo many times a typed word is taken out of context, like seems to be happening in this case. Give me an in person conversation any day. My meaning here was that I will NEVER personally build a block pit, but have respect for those that do. Have only seen them on BBQ Pitmasters and such, and can only imagine how great it tastes. I was searching for info based on curiosity and not free advise. Doesn't matter how you get there, just that you and your friends and family enjoy the food, and company! Happy grilling to all, and to all a great cook!!

ADqo8YJcKYYRWwFN8

Well here it is so far. Going to get a third set of blocks today so its above grade.
Still have to dig the air holes for the vent tubes.
Had a little fire in her last night.

Last edited:
Interested to see how this comes out. Digging it in. Not sure why you want to do this if you are not going down the Pacific Islander route where the pit is filled with hot rocks and the whole thing is covered by hessian / banana leaf and dirt. Of course this way is generally a one time arrangement. Why does it have to be a hole in the ground?

Back