Cinco Burrito

Thanks Robert!

When buying from Mexican markets (at least here) flap meat is referred to as "Ranchera" A lot times we have the same language barrier here but as soon as I say Ranchera they know. Now, when prepared already they call it "Preparada" So easiest way is ask for it is Ranchera Preparada (already prepared) or you can say Ranchera No Preparada or Sazonada (seasoned)

This is what flap looks like for carne asada

AGa9WJMh.jpg

Prepared they look about like this. A lot of paprika usually so it's red.

fsVy0Lyh.jpg

Sako,

Thank you for the information. At least now I will know what to ask for. The markets do have a lot of products not seen in the regular grocery stores.

Thanks,

Robert

Whenever I see a new post from you, I get depressed because I know I can´t taste it and it´s gonna be some of the best food posted here.
And then I check out the thread and I´m cheered up right away because it´s some of the best food posted here.

Last edited:
OK got it....Ranchera Preparada...I usually just point and smile...throw a couple of por favours in.

I usually get some short ribs there for bulgogi when I go to the Meximart as well.

Yessir, Sako! :hungry: A classic for good reason and very nicely done!

The salsa roja - what's the story there? I'm waaaay late to the game but starting to make salsas a little bit, mainly pico de gallo, but really need to up my game even though there's a lot of great prepared stuff available. DIY and all that.

Great cook!

The salsa roja - what's the story there? I'm waaaay late to the game but starting to make salsas a little bit, mainly pico de gallo, but really need to up my game even though there's a lot of great prepared stuff available. DIY and all that.

Great cook!

Greg,

I saved Sako's Salsa Roja recipe a while back, here's what I have:

Sako’s(ssv3) Salsa Roja

5 or so medium sized tomatillos

25 pods of chile de arbol (to be exact) More or less for heat

2 small cloves or 1 large clove or garlic

1/4 yellow or white onion

1/2 teaspoon of salt (or to taste)

1. Roast the tomatillos until soft (it turns from bright green to dull green)

2. Roast the garlic

3. Toast the chile de arbol pods until they start to release their oil and you smell a nice chile fragrance. DO NOT BURN OR CHAR

4. Throw all the ingredients into a blender or food processor.

5. Blend until desired consistency (If thick add a tiny bit of water)

6. Chill and serve

NOTE: It tastes so much better the next day so if possible make it a day in advance.

Greg,

I saved Sako's Salsa Roja recipe a while back, here's what I have:

Sako’s(ssv3) Salsa Roja

5 or so medium sized tomatillos

25 pods of chile de arbol (to be exact) More or less for heat

2 small cloves or 1 large clove or garlic

1/4 yellow or white onion

1/2 teaspoon of salt (or to taste)

1. Roast the tomatillos until soft (it turns from bright green to dull green)

2. Roast the garlic

3. Toast the chile de arbol pods until they start to release their oil and you smell a nice chile fragrance. DO NOT BURN OR CHAR

4. Throw all the ingredients into a blender or food processor.

5. Blend until desired consistency (If thick add a tiny bit of water)

6. Chill and serve

NOTE: It tastes so much better the next day so if possible make it a day in advance.

Great cook!

Thanks Richard and Greg!

Sorry fellas been busy bro respond. Greg, you can increase, decrease the peppers for heat level. 25 is pretty hot but I like it hot. What you can also do is mix dry peppers like guajillo, ancho etc :wink:

Back