THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

cbagby64

Full Fledged Farker
What's the difference? I picked up a 22lb chuck roll to do pulled beef this weekend but my buddy said a chuck roll is different from a chuck roast. :crazy:

Chuck roasts are pieces of chuck roll.

right on! i buy chuck rolls to grind into burger...they have a little more fat. I'm sure when a butcher "trims" them into chuck roasts, there is some trimmings that go to waste. I grind the whole thing.

chuck rolls are how I roll. :laugh::bow:

When I cook beef, I get way more meat out of a chuck roll than brisket. This is becuase I can fit 25 pounds of chuck roll on my 18.5" WSM. I always buy a 20-22 pounder and have them cut it in half for me. I then inject and rub it and smoke them just like butts. They usually take a little longer becuause of their size and the stubborness that I have learned is a trait of the chuck roast. 9 times out of 10 I pull them off the smoker at about 165 ( 10-12 hours) and finish them in the oven...hangs head and runs to corner waiting for lashing.

Back