THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

oldpro

Knows what a fatty is.
I was in Costco yesterday and picked up a couple of chuck roasts. I saw a thread on this forum on smoking them, and they looked great. While I've done plenty of briskets, this will be my first "chuckie." I assume I should use the same dry rub as for brisket.

Do you cook them to the same internal temp as brisket? They weigh about 3 1/2 pounds each. Any tips would be appreciated.

Oldpro

I prefer to smoke them till they hit 170 or so. I just make sure they have some good color on them. foil and continue smoking till I can stick a fork in the meat and twist it with little resistance. Expect them to take about 3 hours per pound at 250.

This advice is for pulled beef only.

I did (2) 3 1/2 lb chuckies the other weekend. Rubbed them the night before. took them out about an hour before hitting the smoker and it took about 7 hrs to bring them up to 200*. Juicy and fell apart like butter! They will hit 160* or so and sit for an hour or 2. thats normal. hope that helps.

I rub them just like I do a brisket.
I do not foil chuckies due to the fat content, and I take the internal to 195-200 for pulling.
You'll love the flavor!
Remember to post pron. :mrgreen:

I love chucks. They are my go to cut for beef nowadays.

Y'all are making me hungry. I'm not to familiar with cuts of meat but is a Boneless Chuck Roast Blade the cut you all are talking about? There seem to be many "chuck" roast cuts in my local stores but I don't know which is best for smoking, braising etc. What size roast is preferred?

I've found that if you want to pulled it, simple taking it to 205* isn't always enough..

I'll foil at 165 and take it to 205 and then ditch the thermo and do the fork-turn test until it's done, which is to say stick a fork in it and if you can turn it 180 degrees without much resistance, it should be ready to pull..

Thanks for the input. I got drafted (I really volunteered) to take the grandson duck hunting this weekend, but I plan on doing the chuckies next week.

I'll report back on the results.

Back