THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

drallan81

Knows what a fatty is.
I have a chili cookoff competition at work at the end of the month and am looking for some ideas on a new twist on chili. I'm assuming most of the other competitors will go with a more traditional style of chili. I'm not here to debate, beans vs no beans. This isn't a Texas competition and there are no chili snobs. It wouldn't surprise me if the definition of chili was very broad to really mean any soup/stew like dish that has meat and maybe some heat.

Its really just an office get together. I asked for the judging rubric and rules and everyone looked at me funny. So basically it is going to be a everyone gets a bowl and votes for their favorite. No "judges", no score cards, no blind tasting w/ number turn ins. Just a simple write the name of your favorite and put it in the box.

All that being said. I'm looking for something a little different. I was thinking of smoking a pork butt and making a pulled pork chili verde. Does anyone have any good recipies they are willing to share? I'm open to ideas, but was hoping for something a little different than the usual ground beef, kidney beans, tomato paste grocery store chili kit.

Anyone ever mix meats in their chili? Maybe a 3 meat, pulled pork, chuck roast, chicken dish?

Unless you are just trying to introduce everybody to something, instead of actually trying to win, you should do something you have made before. I did a chili cookoff quite a few years ago, with a new recipe that was in a top chili recipes book and it didnt do well. I liked it, but it wasnt what the judges expected.

2bb49a9e.jpg

HERE is the link to Mr ~t~'s green chili recipe. Many of the contests we've entered this in were wither work based or organization based (like the Boy Scouts, Home Depot, or a fundraiser) a few others from the site have used it for larger contests. One of the keys in this recipe is roasting the meat with the spices on top, but if nothing else you might get some tips if you want to make a green chili.

Around here the contests are peoples choice like the one you will be doing, but usually there are at least 2 categories red and green. Often there is a salsa contest at the same time so instead of one winner and one reserve, more people get a chance at something.

3 pounds of cubed or coarse ground venison
3 tablespoons of butter
3 tablespoons cooking oil
2 cans of light red kidney beans
2 cans of dark red kidney beans
1 and 1/2 cups tomato sauce
3/4 cup of tomato paste
1 can stewed tomatoes
6 cloves garlic, chopped (2 tablespoons)
6 Jalapeno peppers, chopped *
1/2 cup red bell pepper, chopped fine
1 large onion, chopped
1/2 cup barbecue sauce
1/2 cup water
2 tablespoons Louisiana Hot Sauce
;3 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
3 tablespoons chili powder
2 tablespoons honey
1 tablespoon oregano
1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
Heat up a skillet and brown the venison in the butter and oil. A big secret to good tasting chili is to really brown the venison well. Add the onion and garlic to the browned venison and cook until softened. Drain well.*
Put the venison, onion and garlic into a large crock pot ( 6 to 8 quarts). Add the remaining ingredients, mixing well. Cook on high for 2 hours, then turn down to low. Cook for another 6 to eight hours, stirring every once in a while. The*homemade venison chili*should be fairly thick. If not, cook on high with the cover off for another hour or so.*
Serve the chili topped off with shredded cheese, sour cream and hot cornbread. It freezes well too, if any is left over. (very unlikely)

If you want different, this is it. It also works with beef. I had a batch at work, and one of the guys said it would be good with venison. I said it was. Another coworker overheard and said he was glad he didn't know it was venison, because he didn't eat it, and he had 2 bowls...

He has a cool channel.

Yes he does. Very informative and a good overall cooking resource. I am usually pretty stubborn about my chili recipe but after watching this, it made total sense. The balance and depth of flavors from the fresh vegetables, peppers, sweetness, vinegar, chilis, aromatics and chocolate is very good. It packs a punch flavor wise. I strongly recommend.

Coal Creeks - MN A$$ Blaster Chili

This has been my favorite chili recipe for last 3-4 years. My wife complains as I make it so often. I really like it. You might want to tame down the spice but I really like the coffee and pineapple in it. (If I don't do brisket I shred chicken instead)

Ingredients:

-3 lbs cooked, chopped brisket (flat)

-2 cans red kidney beans

-1 can black beans

-1 can whole kernel corn

-2 small cans tomato paste

-1 30 oz can diced tomatoes

-1 whole yellow onion, chopped large

-6 cloves garlic, chopped fine

-1/2 red pepper, chopped small

-5 habañero peppers, 1 jalapeño, 2 serranos, chopped fine (keep in mind
this is HOT, so use your own discretion)

-16 oz beef broth

-2 cups fresh brewed French roast coffee

-3 tbsp olive oil

-4 tbsp chili powder

-3 tbsp brown sugar

-1 tbsp sea salt

-1 tbsp Italian seasoning

-1 tbsp cumin

-just a pinch of cinnamon

-(optional) Every so often I'll throw in a 15 oz can of diced (not
crushed) pineapple. Got a wild hair up my @$$ cooking
one time, and I was right- it was fantastic in
combination with the heat and spices.

Cooking instructions:

Combine ingredients and simmer for 1.5-2 hrs, stirring
occasionally (try not to let it come to a full blown boil). Let cool,
then place in fridge overnight to let the flavor settle.

Enjoy

I've only entered one chili cook-off in my life, which I won. It was very informal, at our old boat club.
The sad part is I just made it out of stuff from the fridge, freezer and spices on hand, no recipe.
I had (more than) a few beers while making it too, so I had no idea what all I'd put in it.
I still make it following that same general format, just not as many beers now.

I've only entered one chili cook-off in my life, which I won. It was very informal, at our old boat club.
The sad part is I just made it out of stuff from the fridge, freezer and spices on hand, no recipe.
I had (more than) a few beers while making it too, so I had no idea what all I'd put in it.
I still make it following that same general format, just not as many beers now.

I agree, some of my best chili has been made by just winging it. Good luck!

For an informal office type gathering, if you want to win I'd recommend not making it too spicy and put a bit of sugar in there to cut the acidity of the tomatoes. Avoid cilantro as well as there are people that can't stand the taste. have crackers and cheese so people can top their cup or bowl. If you want to give it a BBQ twist, put some smoke the meat, onions and peppers then finish them in the chili pot. it works!

Back