THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Swine Spectator

is Blowin Smoke!
Name or Nickame
David
I few weeks ago, I posted a request for help with chili for a cook-off I got roped into to benefit Law Enforcement Officers. At the recommendation of 16Adams, I bought the International Chili Society Official Chili Cookbook and read about half of it over the weekend. Armed with the Brethren's recommendations and a half-book's worth of knowledge, I made my chili yesterday.

The cook-off does not require entries to be cooked onsite, so on the book's recommendation, I made my chili and am letting it "rest" or "age" for a few days.

Today, I discovered that we also have a Stew and Chili Throwdown in progress. If I had known this 24 hours ago, I would have taken better pictures. However, since I did cook in the contest period, I am going to enter what I have.

I started with Angus Beef Pectorals from Restaurant Depot. After a little web-searching, I believe that these are cut from the chuck primal where it joins the brisket.
picture.php

I ran it through my #22 Grinder with a 1/2" plate.
picture.php

Next, I roasted two each of Ancho, Pasilla, Guajillo, and Morita chiles in a 300° oven. Then I steeped them in boiling water before pureeing.
picture.php

I sweated the onions, bell peppers, jalapenos, and poblano peppers in suet.
I browned the meat in batches.
Then, I added panca pepper paste:
picture.php

My seasonings:
picture.php

and fresh ground cumin:
picture.php

Also, not pictured (because I didn't know we had a Throwdown, V8 Juice, Beef Stock, Tomato Paste, and Chorizo Sausage.

Here is my final product:

picture.php

I am very pleased with this recipe. I will be making this again.

David

The book is well used here. Printed in 1982. Over 100 recipes for chili and over 150 recipes for what to serve with it- sauces side dishes drinks desserts. I’m serious, it’s never put up, always out. Really cool what you’ve done grinding your beef plus using real chile

Last edited:
Man that looks killer. I would love to have a bowl of that. Good luck with the cookoff. I just bought a couple days ago some dried ancho and guajillo chilis to try in my next pot of chili.

The book is well used here. Printed in 1982. Over 100 recipes for chili and over 150 recipes for what to serve with it- sauces side dishes drinks desserts. I’m serious, it’s never put up, always out. Really cool what you’ve done grinding your beef plus using real chili

I bought the 1/2" plate for making "real" Andouille, but I have found it to be more useful than I expected. Most folks use 3/8" for chili. I like the chunkier texture of the larger grind.

That looks right on the mark. I love chili grind meat. In my opinion, it really gives you the best consistency and texture in chili. I just cannot get with using pre-cooked meat in chili. To me, that is just leftovers warmed over, not chili.

I would recommend adding some unsweetened chocolate, some cholula hot sauce and a bit of brown sugar to balance things out. It would take an already great chili over the top.

Last edited:
That chili looks fantastic! Tell us more about the cut of beef you used - I'm not familiar with it.

Also, you can submit another picture of the chili in a bowl for the Throwdown if you want or have time. Just let us know in the TD thread and we'll use the second picture.

Moose said:
That chili looks fantastic! Tell us more about the cut of beef you used - I'm not familiar with it.

I was not familiar with the cut either. It was labelled "Pectoral R/W", so I assumed it was near or part of the brisket. I wish I had taken more pictures. It was well-marbled and I assume that you could smoke it. I paid $3.24/lb for it, which is cheaper than brisket around here. It came in a cryo pack with 3 separate muscles totaling just under 9 lbs.

I found this description:

Pectoral Meat - NAMP - 115D

"Section of the pectoral muscle that remains in the Square-Cut Chuck primal after removal of the Brisket. Most often used for further processing into ingredient beef.

Butcher's Note - Portion of the Brisket muscle that needs to be cooked slowly to improve tenderness."

Moose said:
Also, you can submit another picture of the chili in a bowl for the Throwdown if you want or have time. Just let us know in the TD thread and we'll use the second picture.

Thanks - I may try to do that.

David

Great looking chili. And, I find it somewhat funny that you managed to have that many pictures of a cook when you didn't know you were preparing for a throw down. :-D

Well - Today was the actual cook-off. This was a pretty good-sized event with 14 entries. This was an event to raise money for an annual multi-department Christmas Party for local law enforcement. There were lots of LEO's onsite and in the competition. A guy named "Jim" was the three-time reigning champion.
There was a blind judging before the event and then we were asked to come in a serve to attendees who paid $10 for a bowl. They could get the chili of their choice or combine partial bowls into one.
I decided to do a little marketing and scattered whole dried peppers around my "Texas 9-Pepper Brisket Chili" sign. I felt like I was doing pretty well because mine was "selling" faster than most. I ran out first, and the next fastest seller was the reigning champ who seemed to know everyone.
When the awards were announced, a woman with a white bean chicken chili was named runner-up. Then they asked Jim to present the award to the new champion - me!
Thanks to all the brethren for advice and especially 16Adams for the book tip.

David

Back