Chicken Wings

That's the beauty of the vortex Dan, no direct flame and crispy skin.
I know you said you didn't want to buy any more accessories, but it is handy. Very happy I bought one.
Come on Dan, have some Kool-Aid...... :p

Your wings still look tasty though!

Last edited:
Your wings look tasty to me :thumb:

I was skeptical on the Vortex as well and held off buying one for a long time despite seeing so many positive reviews here. $35 well spent, IMO...wish I would've a long time ago. It's my go-to wing cooking method, and I really like the way other chicken parts come out with it as well.

If you still don't want to buy one, I would try cooking high heat indirect next time with your coals piled on one side of the grill...less chance for flare ups, and you can still go direct at the end if necessary if you want to tighten the skin up a bit. On a 14" grill this is going to be a little harder to do obviously but I bet you can find an 18"+ kettle on Craigslist for free or next to it.

I make wings on my 26" Weber, and it came with 2 grill baskets that when put back-to-back, function very much like a Vortex.

A pic: (grill baskets are near the top of the pic; these wings got cooked indirectly, a brief sear, then back to the indirect side for saucing)

WQ3su65.jpg

Dan,

I'm not into useless gadgets, either, but the Vortex was a godsend to my wing cooking - thighs also. It was the best money I've ever spent for my Weber.

It's the only way I will cook wings and thighs now.

Vortex

Hi All Can I use the Vortex with WSM 22"? I don't have a kettle.
I just did a Vortex search wow there so many out there.
Thanks DanB

Last edited:
There is probably less benefit on a WSM because even the lower grate is so far from the heat source. I think half the magic of the vortex may be some sort of convection action at the center of the kettle, but the other half is high radiant indirect heat due proximity with the heat source.

For use on the WSM, I'd remove the middle section, and then set up the bottom section, light it and put the cooking grate right on top. I've grilled like this many times at comps - makes some mean burgers for Friday dinner. Never used a vortex with it, but no reason it wouldn't work.

Dan,

I'm not into useless gadgets, either, but the Vortex was a godsend to my wing cooking - thighs also. It was the best money I've ever spent for my Weber.

It's the only way I will cook wings and thighs now.

This is me too. I don't cook wings any other way. Actually, the only thing I use my Weber Kettle anymore is to cook wings with the Vortex.

Your wings look tasty to me :thumb:

I was skeptical on the Vortex as well and held off buying one for a long time despite seeing so many positive reviews here. $35 well spent, IMO...wish I would've a long time ago. It's my go-to wing cooking method, and I really like the way other chicken parts come out with it as well.

If you still don't want to buy one, I would try cooking high heat indirect next time with your coals piled on one side of the grill...less chance for flare ups, and you can still go direct at the end if necessary if you want to tighten the skin up a bit. On a 14" grill this is going to be a little harder to do obviously but I bet you can find an 18"+ kettle on Craigslist for free or next to it.

Hi Where did you buy your Vortex for $35.00?
Thanks DanB

Back