THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sorry about the first pic.
I wasn't able to to rotate it.

I know the carrots are not typical, but, they needed to be cooked so they
went into the pot. No waste.

Why would you put carrots in it?

Three reasons:
01)
As wrote in the second post above, I had carrots that needed to be cooked and nothing goes to waste in my house.

I also used yellow bell peppers instead of green.
Again, I had them and nothing goes to waste, in the pot they go.

02)
I was curious before I added the carrots to the pot so I did a little research.
No matter what I read it would not have change my mind as they needed to be cooked, but I knew someone would be pointing it out and asking.

What I found was that Gumbo would often make use of whatever was around so there was no waste so I figure I totally in line with the origin of the dish.

03)
Lastly, I'm Italian and live in New Jersey.
What the hell do I know about GUMBO.:laugh:

Last edited:
Roux looks great! Good color. I do mine in a cast iron skillet in the oven. It does take some time, but obviously the end result is worth it.

Three reasons:
01)
As wrote in the second post above, I had carrots that needed to be cooked and nothing goes to waste in my house.

I also used yellow bell peppers instead of green.
Again, I had them and nothing goes to waste, in the pot they go.

02)
No matter what I read it would not have change my mind as they needed to be cooked, but I knew someone would be pointing it out and asking.

What I found was that Gumbo would often make use of whatever was around so there was no waste so I figure I totally in line with the origin of the dish.

03)

LOL!! You know enough to make it and that's all that matters. I've had worse looking gumbo in some restaurants but I'd hit that bowl. OH, you forgot the potato salad!!:heh::heh:

I think the roux is too dark but that's just me. I like that dark peanut butter color but keep rocking it and as long as the family likes it is what matters.

Try a lighter colored roux next time and you'll notice it thickens the gumbo more than a darker roux.

looks great, I have found I like a dark blond rue better than a very dark 1. throw any thing you want in it, I like red or yellow bell peppers ,the green can be bitter some times imo

Hard to believe that bowl of gumbo came outta Joisey!!! Looks great!
Gumbo - what 'cha got goes in.
I don't see the okra used as a thickener... I don't care for the flavor file’ adds.

Three reasons:
02)

03)

At first I balked at the carrots. In a perfect world, carrots don't go in a purist's gumbo. However, they are traditional in a French Mirepoix so it kinda makes sense. Additionally, there is such a thing as "hurricane gumbo" - when a hurricane hits and takes out power for days - we fire up the propane burner and everything in the freezer goes in. As you said - nothing goes to waste!

David
Swine Spectator

Back