Chicken and dumplings... Fresh collards.. Black eye peas and corn bread

PitmasterT that was awesome story... I spent Time in the kitchen with my mamma... People would ask Mrs Shirley how much of this do you put... Her reply was i really don't know .. Just to it feels good... There were certainly some things she measured.. But a whole lot she did not.. She always liked my cooking in here later years when she did not cook ... Said i just had a knack for it.. Not sure guess some do some dont....

2000px-2013_Ohio_State_Buckeyes_logo.svg.png

Love the farm and family photos. The rolled dumpling dough definatly brought back memories of how my grandmother used to make them.
Thanks guys for the memories of grandma. May she R.I.P.

a great post with some good looking' food....prepared the way it should be ! Love the family photos and homestead pics too....I'm a SEC fan and will be pulling for the Tide tonight...

I am in Awe!
Love the post from the great recipes, story, and a peak into your family life.

You Sir are Good People!

Did some research on collard greens. I knew they were a favorite in the south but I thought they were only available at certain times of the year. Now I know they are available year-round but better in the cold months. I don't see them available here in the Pacific Northwest so I guess some of you guys will have to ship me some. This is a great post and a recipe that I will have to try as soon as the collard greens arrive. LOL.

The only thing i did not do that i really love is make crackling cornbread.. I love it with collards....... Glad yall like the recipe... It makes me think of my mamma and daddy.. It was my dad's favorite.. I think the younger generation is going to forget how to cook. ... So much go go go... With ball being played year around...... Lots of fast food being ate... Well i am going to get on my soap box... A lot of kids learn no work ethic.. We used to work summertime jobs and go to ball practice afterwords... We learned how to work... I realize times change but kids do not even have time in the summer to go on family vacations anymore...... Done...... Just to much go go!!!!!

Wow, thanks TuscaloosaQ!!!
Great share of your world.
It's mind blowing, this human family thing.
I looked at the chicken dumpling pics and was amazed, I could have been watching my fathers mother working, making 6th generation food from Britain.
These traditions die hard, the only difference is that we add herbs, otherwise identical!
I bet we could make that in Ireland or England three centuries ago and it would be the same
Amazing!

Last edited:
Loved taking a peak into your life, it was a nice way to start my year. I am surprised no one has got their nickers in a wad about the can of bacon grease. I keep mine in a bowel next to the stove.:thumb:
Dave

Loved taking a peak into your life, it was a nice way to start my year. I am surprised no one has got their nickers in a wad about the can of bacon grease. I keep mine in a bowel next to the stove.:thumb:
Dave

Shoot brother that bacon grease has been in that cabinet for at least 50 years... Of course it is replenished..... Glad this was a good and hopefully helpful post.....
The generation ahead of me is about gone.... Meaning the people that were around during world war 2... It is up to us to carry on tradition... My parents were frugal very frugal......

Dave
My only thought about the bacon grease can, was jealousy because my mason jar is almost empty. Got to start saving bacon fat again.

Dave

You crazy Mercuns are always doing things differently, I'll say that for yez!
:wink:
You mean the bacon fat in general, or the part about keeping it in a bowel?:mrgreen:

best post ever. my grandmother had a mason jar of bacon grease on the stove at all times.i asked my mom once why grannys scrambled eggs were so much better than hers. she said because she used fresh eggs not store bought and cooked them in bacon grease.

I am about as North as it gets but there are some common threads in this fine nation of ours. I understand country livin' and cookin'. If you gave me five minutes with that chicken and dumplings I would put a big hurt on it. Thank you for sharing.

Awesome looking meal. Chicken and Dumplins are one of my favorite comfort food. Also really enjoyed the other pictures with 1 exception. Way too much Alabama gear. :laugh:

Back