THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Nice job. Not to difficult to do and the taste is usually superior to what you buy. Plus you know exactly what goes into it.

eager to see recipe as well.

Recipe for Spanish Chorizo

10#'s pork butt
3#'s pork fat
3 bunches of green onions
1/2 bunch of cilantro (finely chop)
4 tbsp. kosher salt
2 tbsp. black pepper
2 tbsp. paprika
2 tbsp. of minced garlic
6-packets Sazon Goya
3-tsp. white sugar
3/4 cup of Rioja or red wine
med. natural hog casings

Prepare casings, cube the pork and fat, freeze at least 30 minutes, prior to grinding. Grind with fine grind plate finely chop the green onions and cilantro and add with the rest of ingredients. Mix freeze mix for 30 minutes (at least) and do a second grind. Then refrigerate mix over night. and stuff the casings. Twist off into links and hang dry in cool dry place. Let dry from 3-5 days and then cook or freeze portions unused portions.

I never smoked them before, but don't see why not. This particular chorizo is cooked on the grill or pan fried and then used in different dishes.
Enjoy.

Definitely a lot colder where you are. You wouldn't be able to walk in the garage here after 5 days due to the stench.

They look great though. Nice and even!

Those look great Mad Max. I did not see any kind of cure in your recipe, the salt may be enough. Just make sure your temps stay below 40 to hang those. If it warmer you run the risk of nasty things growing. Cure #2 or Mortons are used in dried sausage to prevent spoiling. I hope they turn out great for you:-D

Mike

Recipe for Spanish Chorizo

10#'s pork butt
3#'s pork fat
3 bunches of green onions
1/2 bunch of cilantro (finely chop)
4 tbsp. kosher salt
2 tbsp. black pepper
2 tbsp. paprika
2 tbsp. of minced garlic
6-packets Sazon Goya
3-tsp. white sugar
3/4 cup of Rioja or red wine
med. natural hog casings

Prepare casings, cube the pork and fat, freeze at least 30 minutes, prior to grinding. Grind with fine grind plate finely chop the green onions and cilantro and add with the rest of ingredients. Mix freeze mix for 30 minutes (at least) and do a second grind. Then refrigerate mix over night. and stuff the casings. Twist off into links and hang dry in cool dry place. Let dry from 3-5 days and then cook or freeze portions unused portions.

I never smoked them before, but don't see why not. This particular chorizo is cooked on the grill or pan fried and then used in different dishes.
Enjoy.

curious...what is "sazon goya"? Also, I did not see mention of "pink salt, cure #1 or Morton's tenderquick". How do you keep these from spoiling if no curing agent?

Today, I cut down the sausage, and packaged it up. The weather is starting to warm up and the temp. would not be favorable for chorizo. So, in the icebox they will go (whatever is to be used in the next few days).
IMG_0214.jpg

The used portions will be vaccum sealed and frozen. A total of 44 links, portioned for neighbors, family and us. Tomorrow I will throw them on the grill, after I do the Cupid's Cup Walk for Cardio. Rehab. Center in Charlotte. :eek:
IMG_0215.jpg

I'll post pics, tomorrow.

Definitely a lot colder where you are. You wouldn't be able to walk in the garage here after 5 days due to the stench.

They look great though. Nice and even!
True. The weather has been about 40's and the inside temp, in the garage has been, about 37 degrees. My dishwashing liquid, still has ice crystals.

Those look great Mad Max. I did not see any kind of cure in your recipe, the salt may be enough. Just make sure your temps stay below 40 to hang those. If it warmer you run the risk of nasty things growing. Cure #2 or Mortons are used in dried sausage to prevent spoiling. I hope they turn out great for you:-D

Mike
I used Morton's kosher salt and the sazon, which also has MSG. I maintain a cool environment.

curious...what is "sazon goya"? Also, I did not see mention of "pink salt, cure #1 or Morton's tenderquick". How do you keep these from spoiling if no curing agent?

When I see the temp. rising in the garage, I run my neighbor's indoor AC,which I borrowed for this purpose, for a couple of hours, to maintain a range of 39-36 degrees.

True. The weather has been about 40's and the inside temp, in the garage has been, about 37 degrees. My dishwashing liquid, still has ice crystals.

I used Morton's kosher salt and the sazon, which also has MSG. I maintain a cool environment.

When I see the temp. rising in the garage, I run my neighbor's indoor AC,which I borrowed for this purpose, for a couple of hours, to maintain a range of 39-36 degrees.

Have you ever made chorizo before? Why no Bactoferm?

Back