THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Have you ever cheated, knowingly, at a contest and got by with it?

• YES

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • NO

Votes: 163 99.4%

• Total voters
BTW - For all of you hackers out there that think improving your lie is ok, that "i;m only moving it a little". The USGA calls them RULES for a reason. I'll step down now.

But on some public courses can you blame someone when they hit a good shot, it's in the fairway with plush grass everywhere ... except the mud divot created by the Gator that it stopped in?

I believe the Seniors Tour always plays lift and clean ... which is just a way for them to improve their lie. If they're going to do it on prestine courses, I hardly feel guilty about doing it on a goat ranch. I'm only playing for the fun of it anyway, my score has no effect on anyone else.

That said, I do count penalty strokes, trees are trees, water is water no relief from either of those and do not take mulligans. Although, I did once pull a ball out of a snow bank without penalty. That's casual water right?

the meat inspections always seems to be a bit of joke to me anyway..I mean how do they know what they inspect is what you are going to turn in anyway?.

At our last contest the meat inspector checked the chicken and ribs, said everything looks good and headed back to his golf cart. We had to stop him to check our pork and brisket.

I have done worse than cheating in a local comp.

I took a fellow competitor's cold beer from his cooler and replaced it with my own WARM beer..............

Haven't cooked in that comp since.

I guess this could happen although it is hard to thik that way. The idea that a person could cheat and also be friend you is hard to believe. What fun is it to cheat and act like you are competing. The beer thing is a dirty trick.

There were a couple times that I have seen people not fire up their smokers until early sunday morning, and it made me wonder how it was possible to cook something in that amount of time. However, in both cases that team came in the bottom 2 or 3 overall so I doubt they cheated - just made some bad choices.

I don't see the point in cheating - I guess if you have a national brand and you are in a competition that gets a lot of national tv publicity there might be motivation there, but so far, I have never met anyone who competes only to win.

I may come in last place....but at least i did it my way.

I know I could cheat to come in first...but how proud of that would I be.

I have done worse than cheating in a local comp.

I took a fellow competitor's cold beer from his cooler and replaced it with my own WARM beer..............

Haven't cooked in that comp since.
"That's pretty low, mister! If I had a rubber hose, I would beat you into a..."
(Quote from police officer in National Lampoon Christmas Vacation.)

There were a couple times that I have seen people not fire up their smokers until early sunday morning, and it made me wonder how it was possible to cook something in that amount of time.
Last week I heard an interview with Myron Mixon where he walked through his competition timeline. I wouldn't have believed it if I hadn't heard it from his own mouth.

Friday
Load in / meat inspection / marinade / inject, then leave.

Saturday
04:00 - Arrive (well-rested) and light cooker
05:00 - Briskets & butts on
08:30 - Chicken & ribs on
09:00 - Briskets off
10:00 - Butts off
12:00 - Chicken off
12:30 - Ribs off

Crazy!

Moral of the story: Don't be suspicious of the timing of others.

John

Last week I heard an interview with Myron Mixon where he walked through his competition timeline. I wouldn't have believed it if I hadn't heard it from his own mouth.

Friday

Saturday

Crazy!

John

I think that most folks around the South are well aware of this timeline...if you are close to JOS you know when they arrive...

I think that most folks around the South are well aware of this timeline...if you are close to JOS you know when they arrive...
Some of us north of the Manson-Nixon line aren't aware. :-D I know he is known for cooking fast, but I didn't know he was that fast.

John

When JOS is near our camp I always try to have a fresh pot of coffee ready at 04:15. Myron, Doby and Wayne are the best. If any human being ever walked the earth who knew hog better than brother Myron I've never met them!

Friday

Saturday

Crazy!

John

He might need to adjust those times a little on the KCBS contests since that's the normal turn in times.

Back