THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Qczar

Full Fledged Farker
Howdy folks,

My POS hand crank charcoal blower was tossed in the trash last night. Thinking I need something better, the little I am pulling up on searches leaves me with a bunch of other POS Chinese made cranks and battery op junk.
I did find the FiAir Air Blower that appears to be decent and is supposedly made in the USA, which is a good factor for me (don`t mind paying more if it`s better and especially made in US).

Any recommendations on other options? Any experiences with the FiAir?

Also, I`ve been using Weber charcoal cans with the crumpled up paper method since I started Q`ing, now years ago. I did catch a glimpse somewhere (YouTube?) of some using fire starter sticks. Can someone bring me up to speed on these? Any good? Any chemicals in them?

I've never used a blower. I just use a standard chimney with something to burn underneath, either crumpled paper w/some olive oil, or more often cardboard scraps. Works plenty fast for me.

I've never used a blower. I just use a standard chimney with something to burn underneath, either crumpled paper w/some olive oil, or more often cardboard scraps. Works plenty fast for me.

Yeah, I don`t have a problem with the Weber cans (they work great) and the relative short time it takes to get going. But there are occasions that I use a hand blower to fire up cool spots on my coals or wood chunks once they are piled up or spread out in my grill or smoker fire basket.

Though I know the paper ash left from starting cans is harmless, it would be nice of a alternative to have a all natural stick with no ash blowing around.

But there are occasions that I use a hand blower to fire up cool spots on my coals or wood chunks once they are piled up or spread out in my grill or smoker fire basket.

Sounds to me like a blow dryer would work for you.
Or, is electric not an option? :noidea:

Sounds to me like a blow dryer would work for you.
Or, is electric not an option? :noidea:

Nah, ............ Definitely don`t want corded. Have no problem with a crank or battery op. Just something good and preferably Made In USA. Just thought after my few years of mostly being out of the loop of techniques and gadgets, might find another option here (which, by the way is the best place/source I know of about BBQ). I`ll find something.

Thanks

I'm partial to the Weber cubes, 24 pack at Lowe's for $4. I put them in my Weber chimney or directly into my smoker. Work like a charm and no smoldering paper particles flying around!

I have the Firair going on a couple years now. I did not know it’s made in the US. It’s still working and use it mostly for my Watchman now or to help my kamado joe jr along sometimes. The airflow could be stronger IMO.

I have BBQ dragon which has adjustable airflow and can get a fire going in hurry. I like it a lot better, likely made in China although it’s seems about the same quality as the Fiair. It does go through batteries so I have rechargeables on hand.

I occasionally use an old hair dryer that my wife said did not work well for her. Otherwise I start a chimney of charcoal with the gas starter of my Weber Performer kettle. Five minutes with that flame and then shut it off and let the briquettes ash over, and you're ready to cook.

That seems to be asking quite a lot in this day and age. :shock:

Ahhh, ......... that cliché has run it`s course. Just simply take an extra minute or two to check where something is made or options for made in USA.

Buy US when you can, and can afford it!

Back