Char-griller questions

91vw03, that's exactly like the one I made. Incredibly simple. If you don't have access to expanded metal, I think just buying a basket would be just as cheap...

That was my reason for the basket as well. the ash would collect in the bottom and I'd get no air flow. and the basket that comes with it sits on the tray that slides out so If I emptied it I'd need to start a new fire. I'm giving it a go this weekend so we'll see.

I believe flipping the pan over defeats the purpose of the stack extension because you put the heat and smoke right to the stack....instead you come in 6 inches with a downward deflector from the firebox so that the heat/smoke come in at downward angle then up past meat then it has to come back down past meat to exit out of tube.....

I have to agree with this, as well. With the "grilling pan/grate" flipped over, the tems are more even, but really low. I did a "test run" a couple of days ago with the pan right side up. Temps varied 70-100* from side to side, but were a lot closer to where I wanted them.

I wish I was brave enough to cut the pan in half. I'll just have to dig through the garage and try to find something for a shorter shield

And, even though I dont have one (yet), I'm going to also support the basket vote. The lid on the firebox is a really akward size and/or position for adding coals to the fire. A larger "fuel tank" would definitely be an improvement

I used to have a problems with low temps if I used the cook grates from the SFB to support the ash pan. I now hang the inverted ash pan on the hangers so it comes to the top of the opening in the SFB with the wider gap along the back. I cover the gap at the SFB with foil. I raise the left side one notch higher than the right. My stack extension comes to the left front corner of the grates.

My temps run within 10° side to side. Usually I can't see any difference between the two analog thermometers. I also don't have a problem reaching 275° if needed.

Just my 2¢.

I believe flipping the pan over defeats the purpose of the stack extension because you put the heat and smoke right to the stack....instead you come in 6 inches with a downward deflector from the firebox so that the heat/smoke come in at downward angle then up past meat then it has to come back down past meat to exit out of tube.....

Good advice, do you think keeping the knock outs and turning them into a damper would work ?

I have mine mounted to a piece of SS pipe about 3/4" O.D. Not too sure how to go about mounting it yet.:confused:

Back