THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

TedW

is One Chatty Farker
I'm thinking of having a Cast Iron 1/2 round made for my 007 drum.

Any brothers deal with cast iron? This would essentially be a 22" diameter circle, cut in 1/2.

I'm thinking 1/2" thick. I want to make a griddle for the drum.

I'm thinking of having a Cast Iron 1/2 round made for my 007 drum.

Any brothers deal with cast iron? This would essentially be a 22" diameter circle, cut in 1/2.

I'm thinking 1/2" thick. I want to make a griddle for the drum.

Dwfisk was making some griddles for kettles but i dont know if he's still up to it or not

I have a source for cast iron plates. Not cheap, and I'd have to finish machining locally.

This'll weigh maybe 30 pounds. Not awful, and the CI is the conductive surface I want.

1/2 solid cast iron at 22" diam is pushing 50 lbs.

stainless and carbon steel pushing 55 lbs.

that's a lot of weight to handle and support.

t

Any particular reason you want a 1/2 round???

I've seen C/I griddle plates that could be cut/grind to fit a drum. Also, how about two smaller rounds - a couple of garage sale Lodge skillets with the handle and sides cut off?

Just musing a bit.

I like the musing... Thanks for that. I like the idea of the large surface with no gaps. Like the blackstone.

The 22" diameter drum could hold a 2/3 round. That would leave 1/3 open for exhaust. So that's like a 14" x 22" at the widest point. That's good surface for me.

Any particular reason you want a 1/2 round???

I've seen C/I griddle plates that could be cut/grind to fit a drum. Also, how about two smaller rounds - a couple of garage sale Lodge skillets with the handle and sides cut off?

Just musing a bit.

I agree with this. Find a big newer lodge and use a angle grinder to cut off the sides. I guess I dont see a purpose of having it that thick. The amount of time it would take to properly heat up and the weight alone are two factors I would be concerned with.

If you were just looking to locate information and not an opinion I apologize, please disregard

http://shop.lodgemfg.com/skillets-and-covers/17-inch-cast-iron-skillet.asp

I'm definitely looking for any opinions, so thank you for that.

The thickness, I can see, is less necessary. 1/2" is thick and slow, I agree.

If I do the 2/3 round, I could go to a 3/8" thickness. The CI Griddle would rest on a stainless grate, so there's initial support under the griddle.

Although I am no foundry expert I would imagine it would be alot easier finding this is CS rather than CI. Finding someone to make a mold for a single piece may be a task. That pan I sent the link on would leave you 3" on either side of the barrel.

I'm just getting flat stock CI. This would be a flat plate covering 2/3 of the drum opening. No raised edges, etc.

So the flat stock CI is easy to find. I just need to decide on the 1/2 circle vs 2/3 circle. I'm thinking 2/3

Another thing to keep in mind, cast iron is brittle. Depending on how it's used There is always the chance of a big heavy piece cracking while warming up or cooling down. Or if you drop it on accident.

I've never had a stove top cast iron pan crack, but the ci bowl on my lodge hibachi has cracked. Probably because of a heat differential between the top and bottom of the bowl. The CI fire grates also eventually crack.

Carbon steel is probably used most on big skillets/griddles because it lighter, quicker responding, and can probably tolerate having a hot side/cool side much better.

Cast iron can be better for retaining/storing heat for longer periods of time, and for slowing the impact of heat changes, but thats probably not as important if you use it for quick sears or cooks.

For a drum you are basically talking <24 inches diameter. A chunk of 1/4 inch thick A36 carbon steel will work fine with a little seasoning; thicker would be OK but not critical. You should be able to find a local fabricator to laser cut the steel for about $50 for a one off. Give me a diameter and I'd be happy to modify one of my CAD drawings and send to you if you want.

Edit: my understanding is that CI would need to be cast in its final form; can't really cut or machine to a final configurstion and you sure on't want to try and weld CI.

Back